HP AMA and Spectre Laptop Giveaway

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

No additional cooling needed. All the thermal magic is integrated into the device. We've even added thermal IR sensors to help regulate the heat and airflow. I think you'll be happy with the results.

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

No discrete graphics options for these two products. But we do offer NVIDIA graphics on the Spectre x360 15".

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Good question. It's really a novel solution if you want to carry around something light but dock into something with more performance. The growth is largely tied to how many applications need that extra level of performance. Right now, that's mostly limited to gaming and professional design software. Today we're all still learning and improving the experience. We'll have to see how more mainstream use cases evolve (maybe VR?) that would demand the extra level of performance.

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

We are close partners with AMD and were even on stage with them at the Ryzen announcement with our OMEN X desktop supporting the new processor. That's not changing, but unfortunately, I can't comment on our plans for future products.

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

External GPUs are supported. The two USB Type-C ports support Thunderbolt 3.0, so are fully capable of pairing with external graphics. HP recently announced our OMEN Accelerator just for that need. Check it out.

For this device, nothing is upgradeable after purchase. We have a lot of options for you to choose from which should help you future-proof your purchase you for the foreseeable future.

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Great question! And definitely something we put a ton of thought around.

These systems are made of CNC aluminum chassis. This means the device is "carved" out of a single piece of metal which helps with the durability. And the displays are made with Corning Gorilla Glass NBT.

We have a sharp focus on quality - in particular for our Spectre line - and we put these devices through a laundry list of quality tests to ensure that regular usage won't break them.

brandonhp

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

ONE feature?! Wow. Hard to decide. Can I get a few more?

First, the design. Just look at them... and the Spectre 13 is the thinnest touch laptop. No one else can say that.

Second, the quality of the overall solution (not just the hardware). We uniquely partner very close with Microsoft to make sure the entire stack is optimized for each of our Spectre devices. Each new feature is highly curated to ensure the total experience is flawless.

Finally, the focus on what customers really care about...
- The integrated privacy screen. This has got to be one of the coolest things I've seen, and exclusive to HP. Flip it on and off by a simple push of the F1 key. It's so convenient.
- The webcam. We keep shrinking the footprint but we refuse to give you a webcam that looks up your nose. We'll opt to keep it on the top of the display because that's a far more flattering look for most of us.
- The ports. We strive to get you the ports you need. With the Spectre x360, we give you a single USB-A in addition to two USB-C ports. The Spectre 13 is literally too thin to fit a USB-A port, so we opt for 3 USB-Cs instead. But still, you have plenty of options to connect to peripherals.
- The performance. We have not traded off performance to deliver these stunning machines. All Spectre devices come with U-series Intel Core processors.

...just to name a few... ;)

zenx007

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Why doesn't HP and other companies that produce laptop tablet clearly state whether they are active capacitive or resistive?
Artists really need to know this ahead of time when deciding if a laptop is good for drawing in depth art, or only useful for note taking.

Oct 7, 2017
Is there any approximation you could make on the individual costs of the components of this laptop, or a comparison to similar components? Sorry if the question is silly.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Do you see the Spectre line as an attempt to 'break the mold' that HP has been under (in my mind) as being just another 3rd party OEM? If I think of a gaming type laptop, Asus/MSI come to mind, not HP (sorry), just as an example. Is HP stepping out of the cookie cutter box and up to the plate with the Big Boys?

lovinghart

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Does the new spectre x360 reach its advertised battery life in real life? Hope for a long lasting laptop that can keep up with my mobile lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.