HP Chromebox CB1-014 Desktop (White) Dillema

BobBinkle

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
Hello World! I just wanted to ask the community about the RAM situation with the white HP Chromebox that has the Intel Celeron 2955U processor.

Based on constantly searching the web and coming to no conclusions whether the HP Chromebox can actually recognize more than 4gb of RAM( I want to install 8gb), I wanted to ask anyone that has this product, whether they have tested it with 8gb of RAM installed and if the system recognized it.

The reason I'm unconvinced that the HP Chromebox can only be expanded to 4gb of RAM is that the ASUS Chromebox with similar specs(the only difference being HP went cheap and only soldered in one RAM slot) can be expanded to 16gb of RAM, and I'm getting this information from a reviewer on Newegg who is a node.js developer named Angela C. that uses c9.io on the ASUS chromebox, so basically she has a 2 x 8GB RAM setup. Most other ASUS Chromebox reviewers were saying that "Oh it can only be expanded to 8gb of RAM, or oh only to 4gb."

I've been searching the inter-webs for a video where someone actually chucks in an 8GB stick of RAM into the HP Chromebox and tapes the screen while system specs app is running, clearly showing that the system only recognizes 4gb of RAM when 8gb is installed, but a video hasn't come out yet. There have been videos where someone installs 4gb, and the system successfully recognizes it, which is awesome. The only drawback is that everyone's warning not to go over 4gb because it's futile or won't work while not actually showing on video or writing in an article that they tried it and it didn't work.

I've also checked out the HP Chromebox on Amazon.com and when you scroll down a bit to "Download more Info" section there is an official HP PDF which states that 8gb is the max RAM, which is unsettling with most other entities on the web saying that more than 4gb won't work.

So, I've come to you guys for help on my quest for knowledge about the unknown realm of HP Chrome-boxia, needing some help to clear away the fog. :)