Solved! HP Dead Laptop????

keastwood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
So my daughters HP dv9000 seems to have bitten the big one. But I'm not sure to what extent.

It starts up, goes to the Windows loading icon. I can see the screen and all fine. But before Windows fully loads, the screen shows a flickering shimmer pattern for about a second, than goes blank. It's still on, but no longer shows any image. Nada.
Tried connecting it to an external monitor, and the external shows the same thing.

After a few seconds, the screen shimmers again, and then the laptop shuts down.

MY GUESS, is the soldered on video card is dead,

Any thoughts? I'm on the verge of stripping out the memory and hd and calling it a brick.

Solution
It is acting like something it shot on the motherboard/gpu/or perhaps the cpu. Most likely it was caused by heat damage, which older hp's are notorious for, i.e. I had 3 hp in 3 years- all died because of heat damage. Unless it is under warranty, I'd call it a brick and never buy HP again.
It is acting like something it shot on the motherboard/gpu/or perhaps the cpu. Most likely it was caused by heat damage, which older hp's are notorious for, i.e. I had 3 hp in 3 years- all died because of heat damage. Unless it is under warranty, I'd call it a brick and never buy HP again.

Solution