HP, Dell Avoiding Android Tablet Price War with Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Considering a Tablet won't have enough power to be a laptop for "productivity" apps or a gaming-on-the-go device of choice or even have x86 applications to run from regular Windows versions, I don't see why Dell or HP would think that having Win8 in their tablets will help them whatsoever in the Tablet war...

Just make the better product and you'll make money. If Apple has one thing right, is that particular philosophy of focusing on the "important". And at least, so far, Asus caught it quite right for the Android world.

Cheers!

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
HP and Dell are delusional if they believe that the market for Windows 8 tablets won't be saturated once Windows 8 is released.

G

[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Considering a Tablet won't have enough power to be a laptop for "productivity" apps or a gaming-on-the-go device of choice or even have x86 applications to run from regular Windows versions, I don't see why Dell or HP would think that having Win8 in their tablets will help them whatsoever in the Tablet war...Just make the better product and you'll make money. If Apple has one thing right, is that particular philosophy of focusing on the "important". And at least, so far, Asus caught it quite right for the Android world.Cheers![/citation]

Maybe Intel will come up with a way to make super efficient 22nm chips that allows x86 to be competitive on battery life and form factor while remaining relatively powerful? Oh wait...

chillmelt

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
This is good. We know that the Windows platform is the platform for business and productivity. Of course, the main question in most people's minds is the battery life. Hopefully Microsoft can sway consumers into the right mindset.

chillmelt

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Maybe Intel will come up with a way to make super efficient 22nm chips that allows x86 to be competitive on battery life and form factor while remaining relatively powerful? Oh wait...[/citation]

It will be just as saturated as the laptop market... It's Windows after all. But how is that bad for us consumers? More competition means better prices, tablets will be constantly on sale.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
awww.. dell and hp looking for a new platform to [strike]overprice[/strike] sell their product. i hope they learn from their android tablets and make tablet that [strike]survives[/strike] sells well. i understand why they'd want to stay away from android - because andy tablets are getting cheaper. and microsoft's win 8 isnt free.
win 8 looks more promising as a tablet and tablet pc os but i'm worried about how much price it will add to the final price.
more competition and more os choices are always welcome since they drive innovation and lower prices.
and a decent tablet pc is long overdue.
on another note: dell streak rules! xoom sucks! :p

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I doubt the issue is saturation as much as choice of OS. Why invest in the Android label and OS if you plan on jumping ship to Windows 8?

Consider that Microsoft has reached licensing agreements with several Android manufacturers due to patent infringement. Also consider that they may simply see Windows as a more reliable choice for long term development and support. Google seems to start things and stop things pretty randomly.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]awww.. dell and hp looking for a new platform to overprice sell their product. i hope they learn from their android tablets and make tablet that survives sells well. i understand why they'd want to stay away from android - because andy tablets are getting cheaper. and microsoft's win 8 isnt free.win 8 looks more promising as a tablet and tablet pc os but i'm worried about how much price it will add to the final price.more competition and more os choices are always welcome since they drive innovation and lower prices. and a decent tablet pc is long overdue.on another note: dell streak rules! xoom sucks![/citation]

I'd say this is true anything with Windows on it adds the price of the tablet by around 50$ by its self. They should offer to versions one with Google and one with W8.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Cool.....Windows 8 + more dumb users not protecting their hardware= more virus removal & money to be made. Not to say other OS's will be attacked any less. Still love Windows 7

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Considering a Tablet won't have enough power to be a laptop for "productivity" apps or a gaming-on-the-go device of choice or even have x86 applications to run from regular Windows versions, I don't see why Dell or HP would think that having Win8 in their tablets will help them whatsoever in the Tablet war...Just make the better product and you'll make money. If Apple has one thing right, is that particular philosophy of focusing on the "important". And at least, so far, Asus caught it quite right for the Android world.Cheers![/citation]
Native x86 applications CAN RUN on Windows 8 tablet if they are built on top of .NET Framework. Get your facts right.

findcoop

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Anything written to Win32, HTML/JS, or .NET prior to Win8 will NOT run on ARM. Apps have to be ported to the new Win8 API, and the ones that have been ported will run on either x86_64 or ARM. Existing apps will most likely not work on Win8 ARM. For x86 platforms, apps that run on 7 should work the same on 8, save the new Metro, .NET being only one of 3 APIs that the app could work on.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Windows 8 price war! Yeah!Who the hell does want assslow Windows tablet?[/citation]
Windows 8 will use roughly the same resources as Windows XP and I now have a phone that is more powerful than the PC I had when XP first came out
I think the myth of slow MS needs to fade away

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]Native x86 applications CAN RUN on Windows 8 tablet if they are built on top of .NET Framework. Get your facts right.[/citation]

On top of an ARM processor? Does Intel or AMD has a tablet x86 chip ready for Dell and HP to slap Win8 on top of it? I haven't heard anything of the like, so...

Cheers!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]On top of an ARM processor? Does Intel or AMD has a tablet x86 chip ready for Dell and HP to slap Win8 on top of it? I haven't heard anything of the like, so...Cheers![/citation]
Intel and AMD will have tablet chips when Windows 8 launches, have faith, as far as ARM and X86 goes, the best scenario would be AMD and ARM having a merger - that would be fantastic for the consumer.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I do recall MS saying that their goal is to make apps btwn the phone and win8 as seemless as possible (even more so that iPhone and iPad). So I do think that apps written for the phone will be able to run on the table.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Ok, Acer makes one that gets it done already.. W500.
it works very well, full laptop specs, and its a TABLET. (funny thing is, its cheaper than a lot of the android / iOS equals.. and yes I bought one and can say that it does what they say it does. win 8 absolutely flies on it and I have to give up nothing to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.