HP dv7-1451nr no video

wizkidscomputers

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello, How many others out there have an HP dv7-1451nr with no video, bad video chip and therefore bad motherboard. It seems as though HP has sold another laptop with known problems and has done nothing about it. This keeps on, and on, and... We as a community need to file an action against HP as it seems to never end with their notebooks-NO VIDEO again. ANd, don't try to resolve it with HP-their notebooks usually self-destruct after the one year warranty. HP will not have anything to do with you!

While I tend to agree with your sentiments, HP is not alone in skimping on quality here and there. Which is a valid arguement for spending a little more for a higher quality unit

Video issues on notebooks can often be traced to a bad or loose power inverter - it's not too difficult of a fix (if you find that's what it is) and can be tested for - google "LCD Power Inverter dv7" - found one here for $17
http://any-pc-part.com/product_info.php/products_id/103726
I have never used this vendor out of hong kong but they offer free shipping
This article shows what is involved in replacement
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-lcd-screen-inverter-board-hp-pavilion-dv7-notebook/
There are a lot more if you're interested in getting that deep into your laptop. Just show HP you don't need their help...

wizkidscomputers

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

PS I tried a new LCD Power Invertr-Nothing. But thanks for the message.

wizkidscomputers

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

PS So I bought a Sony Vaio VPCEF44FX at good price. I'll try Sony for a while now, I have had about 50-60 HP's (Laptops) and am very dissapointed with how long they don't last, to say the least.

wizkidscomputers

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Reply: I already tried the LCD Inverter, I thought that might work, still no video. Any other suggestions?
Also, I went with Sony this time and bought one of their laptops, but they do not even offer anextended warranty unless you purchase it within 90 days o the new purchase. I suppose these manufacturers know their laptops are made in China and that they won't last.

I like the Sony units, I've had my Vaio for over 2 years now and except for having to replace the HSF (about 6 months ago) has been worry free. At two years old, it is the second oldest laptop I've owned. The oldest being an IBM Thinkpad purchased in 1999 and died in 2007. And, until this year, I ran my laptops 24/7 (my two desktops are less than a year old).
Back to your HP issue (I'm determined to figure this)...
We know it isn't the LCD power inverter (assuming the replacement one was good). Have you tried an external monitor (or TV) see if you can get any picture that way, if you can, this might be the issue (by Mark at en.kioskea.net)
"My black screen problem disappeared when I began to open the screen to a wider angle before pushing the power button. If the angle of the screen to the keyboard is less than 90 degrees it appears to trigger the problem. By opening to wider than 90 degrees, the problem goes away. Once the screen is activated it doesn't matter what angle the screen is put at. The wide angle is only necessary at boot up. This leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue..."
here
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-54306-hp-pavilion-has-black-screen-problem
I don't think that's it though, too easy. Here is a link to your LED error codes, see if any of those are applicable
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&dlc=en&docname=c01443366&lang=en&lc=en&product=3816592&rule=26781
and this support thread (which is quite long) does have some helpful links within it also
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-Pav-Dv7-1210ea-Black-Screen/td-p/576615
Yep, it's a lot of reading but I'm hoping it can be fixed economically, Good luck

wizkidscomputers

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Yes, I've tried that too, opening the scren angle, I've tried an external monitor on both VGA and HDMI, so far I've tried every trick in the book. The only thing left is to replace the motherboard. Typical for most HP's (laptops). The ideo chip is intergrated and ATI. If I coul onl get it to boot into video once, I could install the correct driverfrom AMD/ATI. HP says it's AMD's/ATI's fault, and I contacted AMD and they said it was HP's fault. HP does not want to take responsibility and this is not the first time. HP should have Recalled this model as they did with some prvious models, but HP didn't notify anyone, they kept the recall quiet, it was a lawsuit that was settled. I believe in that case it was the dv4-2145dx.
HP has great laptops, for one year and one day (warranty period). After that, it's time to put it on eBay.

wizkidscomputers

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
If you thin of any fixes aside from a new MB, let me know. Thanks. Or if you find a good link for a used Motherboard, let me know.
Also, I reset the bios, tried the inverter, tried the angle, tried changing the Ram.

TRENDING THREADS