HP DV7 3173ca Digital Audio?

kevilay

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hey guys I just picked up a sweet new set of 7.1 DD surround sound turtle beach headphones, completely unaware they use an optical audio cable + USB. I was wondering how I hook this up to my laptop:

HP DV7 3173ca

In the sound control panel I see SPDIF (digial out via hp dock). Online I was reading I can use a toslink in my 2nd heaphone jack? I looked for hp docks didnt see much with optical output? Called hp support and they told me I have a optical device... referring to my dvd rom... great support.... Anyways I'm here looking for some advice so I know what I should buy, or if I can get optical at all.

Thanks,
Kevin

kevilay

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
well the spdif is supposed to have digital audio. My friend said his macbook has the optical that works with the toslink through the headphone jack, but doesnt have the cable to test mine anymore.

kevilay

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
The manual doesnt say much and I cant find anything in manual about it. When I go to manage audio devices it says SPDIF (Digital audio via hp dock) I wasnt able to find an hp dock with an optical either? It has to be possible some way through the spdif.

Get a flashlight and shine it in the 2nd headphone jack.
If you have an optical connector you'll see it.

It will be in the center of the jack housing and it will be shaped to take a connector that looks like this:

spdif-toslink.jpg

31IEf6RoO9L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/TosLink-to-Optical-Mini-Adapter/dp/B0002J24OO