Solved! HP dv7-6195us Help

dhopkinson17

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Hey guys,

I've had an HP dv7-6195us since around August 2010 (yes I know that I should just move on, but I can't yet). A couple of months ago, I was using my laptop to do some web surfing and online banking, and all of the sudden the screen went black. Being in a hurry, I forced it to shut down and used my gaming desktop to finish what I needed to do that night.

After quite a bit of google searching and troubleshooting, I was able to find out that the dedicated graphics card had died, as the computer would run fine in safe mode but would never pass a black screen with the dedicated card enabled. I finally got around to ordering a replacement motherboard (verified by HP part numbered, replacement board was confirmed as working 100% before purchase) and installed it at the end of last week.

Things started out on a bad note, as soon as I plugged the battery in the charging light came on solid white (indicating full charge/on AC power) and the power button would not function. I tried plugging the laptop in and the power button still would not function. I removed the battery and left the laptop plugged in and the power button worked fine. Things started looking up as the computer immediately booted up and began loading Windows 7, and I was able to login and the dedicated graphics card was working properly. That was when I found my second problem, the mouse pad does not work. The illumination ring around the mouse pad works, but neither the buttons or the tracking pad work. I cannot even get Device Manager to show the Synaptics Touch Pad at all, yet going through the Control Panel allows me to see a device "Derek - HP" that needs troubleshooting, which leads to saying the mouse pad driver is not installed correctly, etc. Going through this has not helped, nor has trying to install the driver directly from HP or Synaptics.

When I initially booted the computer, Chrome worked fine and I could access the internet without problems. After completing all of the windows updates, I now get error connection closed with any website I try to access, except for one or two such as Bing.

Another thing I noticed just last night was that the computer takes a while to load windows to the login screen, then from the login screen to the desktop, etc. I opened resource monitor and found the CPU usage to be at 100% as soon as the desktop loaded far enough to keep up with my commands to open resource monitor.

I tried updating the BIOS from the file found on HP's site for my model laptop, and after almost finished the install the wizard pops up saying this version of BIOS was not made for this laptop.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to avoid a reinstall of Windows as I cannot read the product key off of the bottom of the laptop, and I don't want to lose my programs and files.

Just to list out my problems clearly: Replaced laptop motherboard with same HP p/n board due to failed graphics card. Used Artic Silver 5 thermal compound as well as their cleaner/prep combo.

1. Mouse pad illuminates but does not track movement or button clicks. The mouse pad will not show up in device manager either.

2. Power button does not work when the battery is installed, and the charging light remains illuminated white (charged/running on ac power) unless the battery is removed.

3. I can connect to the internet but virtually no websites will work as the connection gets closed.

4. Windows Update says I'm up to date but every time I start/restart/shut off the laptop it says Configuring Windows Updates, please do not turn off.

5. CPU is at 99-100% usage as soon as windows loads in to the desktop.

Thank you!!!

Solution
Try downloading something like speccy, which will give complete details about the motherboard and other hardware. This way you can get the correct motherboard serial/model number etc, and also the bios loaded so you can find the correct drivers and update your bios. In the mean time use a normal desktop mouse to navigate more quickly

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
Try downloading something like speccy, which will give complete details about the motherboard and other hardware. This way you can get the correct motherboard serial/model number etc, and also the bios loaded so you can find the correct drivers and update your bios. In the mean time use a normal desktop mouse to navigate more quickly

Solution

dhopkinson17

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

Hi zer0c007, I appreciate the tip on downloading Speccy which was something I had been planning to do once I got home from work, and I have been using a wired USB mouse to navigate since the touchpad isn't working. In digging through Task Manager more, I found the CPU usage culprit to be a .exe file for BitDefender (had installed free trial when initial problem came up) so I uninstalled that, and now the CPU usage is down drastically and the computer seems to respond a little faster. Whether or not this was the issue with the Internet connection closed errors, but they are resolved as I have now visited all of the websites I would need to use on a regular basis and they all work. I am actually writing this from the affected laptop right now.

Speccy shows the BIOS as F.1B which seems to be the most current (as far as I can tell) based on HP's support site.

The only two issues I seem to have still are the no-functioning touch pad, and the battery issues.