Solved! HP Elitebook 2570p not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_9349396594

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
My Elitebook 2570p is refusing to start, any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated! Thank you. [Linux Mint 19.1]
I had the laptop running and I shut down (or at least I think I did) before taking out the six cell battery - I did this because with that battery in the laptop is too big to fit into my little neoprene pouch, so I was intending to put the 3 cell battery in.
When I put the 3 cell battery in I noticed that some of the LED indicators were on, when it should have all been switched off. I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that the laptop may have been restarting when I whipped the 6 cell battery out.
Now the laptop will not start. I've tried a hard reset (power button down for a minute or so with PSU and battery out). No change.
Indicators as follows:
  1. Power supply connected
  2. The battery (lightning symbol) LED comes on immediately (orange)
  3. After ~ 1 second the power LED comes on white, and the battery LED begins to flash white/orange * continuously.
* The battery LED flashes white/orange cycling every 0.75 seconds (timed), white and orange phases look about the same length.
NOTE: This sequence above is the same whether I apply the power from the PSU, OR from either battery.
There's no sound that I can hear although there's only an SSD in there, and the laptop will not start or do anything else beyond this point.
Also, cannot get it to start from a bootable USB , don't think it's getting anywhere near booting tbh.
Does the LED pattern above indicate anything specific?
Many thanks for reading.

Solution
You need to drain the battery first.

I Had the same problem for couple times. As soon the battery drained, plug in the PSU and you will find the battery LED comes on orange without the power LED comes on.
Feb 27, 2019
You need to drain the battery first.

I Had the same problem for couple times. As soon the battery drained, plug in the PSU and you will find the battery LED comes on orange without the power LED comes on.

Reactions: dan_9349396594
Solution

dan_9349396594

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Problem solved, BUT has recurred.

I came back to this after abandoning that laptop for a few months, plugged my original HP 3 cell battery in and hey presto, it started. Thanks to Axel_Reds, I guess the battery self-drained over that period.

Now, I get an HP warning screen about 'Primary (internal) battery has low capacity, error 601' on startup (this refers to the main battery rather than the little CMOS watch type battery, although the wording is confusing!), but everything runs OK, until...

...I decided to swap over to the non-OEM 6 cell battery again, and the problem has recurred. As soon as I plugged the 6 cell in the laptop went back into its 'frozen' state as detailed above.

So I will drain the 3 cell battery (might take some time with it just powering a few little LEDs in the frozen state), and try again.

BUT, can anyone throw any light on what the cause might be? It seems that its triggered by insertion or removal of the non-OEM 6 cell battery. This has a built in charge indicator which shows 4 out of 4 blue LEDs at present.
  1. Holding the power button down with no power sources to discharge any static build up does not work (I've actually left the power button depressed with a weight on it for over an hour)
  2. Could the 6 cell be over- or under- voltage, and can I safely test this, if so which pins? Why would this cause an ongoing problem after battery has been removed?
  3. To recap, neither battery, with or without mains power connected, will allow the laptop to start in its frozen state.
  4. Do you think the problem is in the battery itself, or in the battery 'interface' on the laptop?

Last edited:

dan_9349396594

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Aftermarket batteries come with their own set of problems. Depending on where they are made, etc. This is why I never suggest using them. They just aren't worth the money you save when you purchase them versus the risk you take with your laptop.

Thanks. Given that my laptop has recovered once from this condition, I'm hopeful that there's no permanent damage. I'm certainly persuaded by your suggestion not to try cheap aftermarket batteries any more.

What I can't quite understand is why after removing the battery and power supply, leaving it a good while, then reconnecting either battery and/or the power supply all result in the same frozen state.

This implies that there is something 'remembering' the fault state even when the laptop has no power. What could this be? Could the CMOS battery be powering whatever is 'remembering' the fault state?

It is possible. Something is saving the base information. You could try removing the CMOS battery and then holding down the power button to drain any last little bit from the device. Obviously making sure no other power is connected to it and no other things either. Printer, headset, etc.

After holding it for 30-60 seconds, then leave all out/disconnected for about 5 minutes, minimum, then try again. See what results you get.

dan_9349396594

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
It is possible. Something is saving the base information. You could try removing the CMOS battery and then holding down the power button to drain any last little bit from the device. Obviously making sure no other power is connected to it and no other things either. Printer, headset, etc.

After holding it for 30-60 seconds, then leave all out/disconnected for about 5 minutes, minimum, then try again. See what results you get.

Tried this now. Left CMOS battery out overnight, and left the power button depressed overnight too.
Unfortunately, same failure mode when reconnected.
I measured the CMOS battery voltage at 2.84V whilst I had it disconnected, which I am pretty sure should be fine?

Have just also tried removing the RAM modules and starting - same failure mode.
And replacing the RAM modules and starting - same failure mode.

I'm reluctant to give up on this, as it seems to have recovered once from this condition, but I suppose that could have been from a motherboard component which has been on the edge of failing?

Alternatively, are ther any other likely removable components which I could take out and reseat whilst testing?

Apr 30, 2019
Tried this now. Left CMOS battery out overnight, and left the power button depressed overnight too.
Unfortunately, same failure mode when reconnected.
I measured the CMOS battery voltage at 2.84V whilst I had it disconnected, which I am pretty sure should be fine?

Have just also tried removing the RAM modules and starting - same failure mode.
And replacing the RAM modules and starting - same failure mode.

I'm reluctant to give up on this, as it seems to have recovered once from this condition, but I suppose that could have been from a motherboard component which has been on the edge of failing?

Alternatively, are ther any other likely removable components which I could take out and reseat whilst testing?

I have the same problem and after 'Googling' the problem a lot I came across another user who had dissembled his EliteBook 2570p (you can find good video's on how to do this on U-tube) and cleaned all the parts and then put it back together again; after which it worked without further reoccurrence of the problem. Having tried the hard reset procedure myself without any success and reading this other review I suspect some kind of internal shorting, perhaps caused by dust build up and static electric charge, may be causing the problem . Consequently I intend to try the disassembly, cleaning and reassembly myself. I am not sure when I will get around to doing this however but it shouldn't be to long and will post the results on here.

dan_9349396594

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Additional info: I've just measured the voltage of both batteries:
the 'original' 3 cell battery is at 11.6V - stated voltage, printed on battery is 11.1V
the 'aftermarket' 6 cell battery is at 11.9V - stated voltage, printed on battery is 10.8V

Last edited:

dan_9349396594

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
I have the same problem and after 'Googling' the problem a lot I came across another user who had dissembled his EliteBook 2570p (you can find good video's on how to do this on U-tube) and cleaned all the parts and then put it back together again; after which it worked without further reoccurrence of the problem. Having tried the hard reset procedure myself without any success and reading this other review I suspect some kind of internal shorting, perhaps caused by dust build up and static electric charge, may be causing the problem . Consequently I intend to try the disassembly, cleaning and reassembly myself. I am not sure when I will get around to doing this however but it shouldn't be to long and will post the results on here.

That's interesting to hear - I'm going to start trying the same, and I'll post back here with results too, thanks. So far have reseated the RAM modules to no effect.

Do you have the link to the other post you mention?

I'm also thinking about trying to partly discharge the OEM battery in case a low charge state is what allowed it to start working again previously (somehow?) , but...
  • I'm a bit concerned that this might damage the battery (or me!).
  • My amateur opinion is that its more likely to be a temperamental connection or failing but not fully failed component.

Apr 30, 2019
Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2019
OK tried a disassembly, clean an rebuild this weekend but it didn't resolve the issue. However I did on inspecting the motherboard notice an area with what appeared to be a blown mosfet much like in the video above. Now debating on whether or not to take a chance on buying a motherboard off Ebay at £40-£70 with no guarantee they will be perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.