HP Elitebook 840 G1

sturg78

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hello all,

I was recently given a HP Elitebook 840 G1. As it was free, I was looking into putting some money into it for upgrades (moderate gaming).

It is sitting with a dule core I3-4010U at 1,7, 8gb of RAM, and the built in HD Integrated graphics. I am happy with the RAM but would like to upgrade to a quadcore I5/I7 and install a dedicated graphics card.

I can't seem to find what the board is or what it could handle. I also am new to the laptop game and don't really have a good grasp of where to go in terms of what a good card would be.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Let me rephrase my previous statement, you should be able to use any Haswell mobile CPU that is designated with a U. It POSSIBLE that the mainboards are different for the bigger chips but that wasn't the case with the previous generation of Elitebooks.

Almost certainly you can use the following: i5: 4200U, 4300U, i7: 4600U.

As far as the graphics go, the mainboards may be different depending on if discrete graphics are used.

sturg78

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

I am having trouble finding any info on the board. I would assume that an 4th gen mobile chip will fit the socket? How can I find what gpu will fit physically and power consumption wise?

rgd1101

Don't

No. you will also need to see the TDP, bios support and other. Go to hp website and look for the service manual, it should give you some idea of what you can upgrade it to.

utgotye

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
Let me rephrase my previous statement, you should be able to use any Haswell mobile CPU that is designated with a U. It POSSIBLE that the mainboards are different for the bigger chips but that wasn't the case with the previous generation of Elitebooks.

Almost certainly you can use the following: i5: 4200U, 4300U, i7: 4600U.

As far as the graphics go, the mainboards may be different depending on if discrete graphics are used.

Solution