HP Envy 14 Beats Edition: Refurbished or New?

Bomino

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum, but i have been reading threads for quite some time via google searches.

My question is the typical "this or that" kind of Question. I'm in the market for a new laptop, and need some advice. The things I'd be using the lappy for would be general use, gaming, music, and movies, and school. I would like the laptop to be no larger than 14 inches as i am using it for school, and require something that easily fits in my backpack. I have narrowed it down to the Envy 14 beats edition, as i LOVE the look of this pc, and it seems like a very well rounded performance system. but i gladly welcome any other recommendations. I must cap my budget at $1100, though.

the important specs of the envy 14 i'm looking at is this:
CPU - i5 560m
RAM - 6gb ddr3
HDD - 500gb [or 640gb] 7200rpm SATA
GPU - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Now my main question here is this; If i DO go with this laptop, i have two options:

1. Get it from eBay, Manufacture refurbished. $935
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360355834280&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2793wt_1139

or

2. Get it from HP direct, brand new. (same exact specs except 640gb HDD instead of 500GB) this is a $1300 build, but i would be using a coupon code to bring it down to $1000 +$100 tax = $1100 shipped

The only thing i'm worried about in going for the refurbished one is the warranty, and ofc the concern that there will not be the "new" factor (maybe a small cosmetic scratch". if i buy it from him, the HP warranty will only be 3 months, but if i buy it from hp direct, i get a 2 yr warranty. so basically, I would be paying $165 for the extra 21 months of coverage, the extra 140gb HDD space, and the "new" factor. is this worth it, or am i safe getting one refurbished? it WOULD be nice to save some money, but I'm ok with spending the extra, if it is necessary.

Thanks everyone! :)

EDIT: or do you think i should wait for the next gen of this laptop? it has been out for a while... suggestions?

Solution
Hello Bomino;

I think $165 for an extra 21 months of warranty coverage, plus the New vs Used 'feeling is a good value for you.
It's not 'necessary' but it IS a good idea IMO.

As for waiting for the Sandy Bridge refresh you might miss out on that discount and
you could find yourself paying an extra $100 for the i5 i5-2410M 2.3Ghz CPU and what ever refresh graphics card they included (HD 6550?)
Hello Bomino;

I think $165 for an extra 21 months of warranty coverage, plus the New vs Used 'feeling is a good value for you.
It's not 'necessary' but it IS a good idea IMO.

As for waiting for the Sandy Bridge refresh you might miss out on that discount and
you could find yourself paying an extra $100 for the i5 i5-2410M 2.3Ghz CPU and what ever refresh graphics card they included (HD 6550?)

Solution

Bomino

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
thanks for the advice, WR2. I actually found out that if i go with hp direct, its actually a 580m i5 processor, not the 560. and according to the list you provided, thats up at #29. so theres an extra advantage of buyin from hp. I think i will go with that. thanks alot :)

TRENDING THREADS