HP ENVY - 17t Laptop as a Gaming Laptop? (under budget)

jkim193

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello,
I'm a newbie to laptops, and in need of advice from professionals like you!

I have been looking for gaming laptop with 17.3 inch display under $1000 budget.
Believe it or not, this HP Envy 17 seems to be the best to me so far.
What I mainly want are the 17 inch screen, and a balance between graphics and processor.
What I can forgo is portability.

Here's the laptop spec. It is priced $847 (after coupon yet before tax)

17.3-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U Dual Core Processor
4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics
12GB DDR3L System Memory (2 Dimm)
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

Here are some questions.
1) Am I missing something that I should be considering when buying a laptop?
2) Are there other gaming laptops better for similar price?(has to be within my budget)

Any inputs will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Solution
That's actually pretty damn good for the size and price. You can get one with better specs for less than a grand in a 15" model but for a 17" model you're right there in the sweet spot. Personally I'd rather have a 15" with a 860m if I only wanted to game but if you plan to run any heavy apps the i7 will be beneficial. Since mobility isn't important to you the 17" makes sense.
That's actually pretty damn good for the size and price. You can get one with better specs for less than a grand in a 15" model but for a 17" model you're right there in the sweet spot. Personally I'd rather have a 15" with a 860m if I only wanted to game but if you plan to run any heavy apps the i7 will be beneficial. Since mobility isn't important to you the 17" makes sense.

Solution