HP Envy 4 ultrabook hosed after Win 10 reinstall

David Knadler

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I "upgraded" to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Started noticing performance issues after a couple of weeks. Opted for a clean install of Windows 10, which returned an error right at the end. Now when I restart, I get to either the "enter product key" or "let's get connected" or "express settings" screen and the computer hangs. The rotating dots rotate indefinitely.

I've tried using a Win 10 bootable USB drive, but can't get the boot order to change. When I reach the first BIOS screen and try to access boot settings, the HP logo appears and I'm back to the endless loop of trying to complete the Windows 10 reinstall.

I'm baffled now. Any ideas on what to try next? Any way to recover this computer?

Solution
Follow the steps below to configure the boot order on most computers.

1.Turn on or restart the computer.

2.While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.

NOTE: The BIOS settings menu is accessible by pressing the f2 or the f6 key on some computers.

3.Select the Advanced tab using the right and left arrow keys.

4.Use the up and down arrow keys to select Boot Order.

5.Follow the on-screen instructions to change the boot order.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00364979

ffg7

Splendid
Follow the steps below to configure the boot order on most computers.

1.Turn on or restart the computer.

2.While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.

NOTE: The BIOS settings menu is accessible by pressing the f2 or the f6 key on some computers.

3.Select the Advanced tab using the right and left arrow keys.

4.Use the up and down arrow keys to select Boot Order.

5.Follow the on-screen instructions to change the boot order.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00364979

Solution

David Knadler

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Thanks. That enabled me to use the USB to boot, and apparently install Windows 10 again. Now when I start the computer it's stuck forever on "Getting Ready." I did change the boot order back to legacy after installing from the USB.

Memory and hard disk check out OK. I did select the primary partition (4) for my Win 10 install. Could that be a problem?

David Knadler

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

500g and five partitions, only one of which is selectable.

This being an ultrabook, it has a 32gig SSD cache.

I put this thing back in the drawer after wasting three hours yesterday trying to revive it.

David Knadler

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

The model is 4-1043cl. I should mention that I get the HP logo whenever I start it, then generally a Win10 screen asking for activation key, which I skip. I've gotten as far as "let's get connected," but it times out after I let it run indefinitely.