HP G72 and AMD

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
So I have a slightly older HP G72 (Enterprise grade/model) and it comes with an ATI Radeon Mobility 5450 graphic chip set. I was running the default HP graphic suite, but then changed to CCC 12.6 and ran it for a few years without issue. I tried updating to 14.9 today, which supposedly fully supports the mobile version of the 5450, however when I get it installed it claims that there is no AMD hardware OR that there is no configurable settings available. This is causing me issue because it forces the integrated HD 3000, causing me to not be able to game or even use my native 1600x900 resolution. Its capped at 1024x768 now.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Solution

Warukyure

Estimable
Usually for older laptops like this the way it does switchable graphics means it needs to use the official drivers from HP. More often than not, you won't be able to use new graphics drivers because this isn't a standard GPU, its a special one made for the switching. While almost every newer laptop under the sun can use new graphics drivers and not have an issue with the GPU switching, you're may not be able to handle it. What you'll have to do is wipe the drivers you got/installed, and go back to HP's website and download their specific ones.

I had an older HP DV7-4070US, and it has a switchable graphics from the Intel HD Graphics to the AMD HD 5850 and it for the life of it, could not and would not be able to use the new drivers. If I'm in the graphics control panel, and try to go search for new updates, nothing as well. You'll be forced to use the specific HP drivers Only.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Its strange that the 12.6 Drivers work, but nothing newer. One reason why I hate laptops... I can't play many modern games simply because my drivers aren't new enough.

UPDATE: I found a 13.4 Mobility suite that works. However it still is recognized as a real CCC software. Because I am trying to boot up a game that requires 13.1 or newer and it even says that it detects 13.4, but needs one newer than 13.1

Solution

TRENDING THREADS