HP Investigating Android TouchPad Shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The guy who bought them all when HP dumped them took them straight to a friend who wiped them clean and then put Android on them in twenty minutes! Stupid HP! They could have done that but they are idiots. Since they have given up on their touchpad, they should give the android people the source code so they can make them better and faster ( something that HP with their brainless CEO's could not fathom!) (and they get 10 million dollars for their lack of genious!) That is why I dumped their stock. There is no one there that has leadership capabilities!The board is mentally deficit and they might as well hire Sarh Palin to run the company! Yes HP DID not have anything to do with the touchpads having Android! It was done by a 26 year-old auction buyer who bought the lot from Best BUY who was dumpimg them with the caveat that they had to be exported out of the country (China). Once in China, they can be sold anywhere! We all told him we wanted ten a piece at $159 for a 16GB and $259 for the 32GB but I'm sure the price JUST WENT UP NOW!!!!

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't doubt for a second that they (a few of the developers) toyed around with Android on the Touchpad, whoever it/they was, and had a completely stable version of Froyo for it.

Then, in the flashing process, someone thought it would be funny to load Android on a batch of them.

HP probably really doesn't know, and doesn't have any information.

My thoughts anyway :)

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
@gil cottrell

This has to do with some TouchPads that were bought from actual retailers. Got home, open their completely NEW TouchPad, and it boots Android. This was pre-fire-sale.

G

Sounds like some SDK/Development/BSP package from Qualcomm. Android/Linux is probably the main system they port to the system to begin with, so it makes sense starting out there before you get the webos linux-kernel and internals working. Somehwere it might not have gotten flashed with WebOS, they should look in there own channel I guess.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Funniest story today.

Sad also, if you think of the lack of vision at HP. Somebody there must really hate dealing with Google. Besides, supporting Android on TouchPads would have been the ultimate acknowledgement of HP's failure.

G

Its really hard to believe such a tech giant like HP can run around going in so many different directions with no clear roadmap. You have to wonder how the company makes any money with such poor management.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"Regarding your specific request for source code below, I must decline at the present time," he added, seemingly confirming that an Android-based source code for the tablet does exist. "HP has never authorized the distribution of any binaries for Android in association with the HP TouchPad. Therefore, HP is not under any license obligation to provide any corresponding Android source code to you."
/quote
Of course, the developers team are not under any obligation to provide you with any information, either. Heard of qui-pro-quo, Robb?

G

if it went in a retail box and sold.... they sold it. it does not matter how it got there. They must release the android os as part of the license requirements.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jsheridan[/nom]HP keeps building the hype for when more TouchPads are released......[/citation]

They already released the second batch. It was for HP employees only. There where a few 32gb ones left over. Not sure what happened with those but bought a 16gb one and I have to say. Not a bad device. It is a bit on the slow side but it is a very nice device.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
They already released the second batch. It was for HP employees only. There where a few 32gb ones left over. Not sure what happened with those but bought a 16gb one and I have to say. Not a bad device. It is a bit on the slow side but it is a very nice device.

HP posted on their website that they are manufacturing more during the fourth fiscal quarter this year, which ends October 31st and will be releasing more for purchase after

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]They already released the second batch. It was for HP employees only. There where a few 32gb ones left over. Not sure what happened with those but bought a 16gb one and I have to say. Not a bad device. It is a bit on the slow side but it is a very nice device.[/citation]

HP posted on their website that they are manufacturing more during the fourth fiscal quarter this year, which ends October 31st and will be releasing more for purchase after

Sorry forgot to click the quote the first time......

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jsheridan[/nom]HP posted on their website that they are manufacturing more during the fourth fiscal quarter this year, which ends October 31st and will be releasing more for purchase afterSorry forgot to click the quote the first time......[/citation]

Not sure if they are going to be release more but they have already done the batch in the 4th fiscal quarter. I work for HP so I was able to get one but if they decide to do another batch then people should pick them up because it really is a nice device and well worth the 99 dollars.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
FYI the second [citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Not sure if they are going to be release more but they have already done the batch in the 4th fiscal quarter. I work for HP so I was able to get one but if they decide to do another batch then people should pick them up because it really is a nice device and well worth the 99 dollars.[/citation]

FYI, the second batch of Touchpad was on HP's site but when you could only get them if you where in the EPP program which is the employee program. It was last week on the 28th, and the last day was Friday.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]FYI the second
FYI, the second batch of Touchpad was on HP's site but when you could only get them if you where in the EPP program which is the employee program. It was last week on the 28th, and the last day was Friday.[/citation]

Guess that means they are not going to update the people that signed up for their notification system that they are completely out of stock now......Would have been nice to receive something generic saying that no more will be sold. I mean, why bother to have people sign up to be notified if no notification will ever come besides to spam them with advertisements later.......thanks for the info about the EPP sale

G

As I heard it from someone on the hardware side, android was always on the hardware. This is because the webos team was so slow to roll things out and the hardware team needed something to work with. So..they used android.

Status
Not open for further replies.