HP is Planning Six New Palm Devices for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Way way way too late to the party. Windows Phone has a killer UI, Zune/Xbox entertainment, business support going for it; Android gives the user a ton of choices and apps and is poised for market dominance, iPhone has its image and a ton of apps, and Blackberry has its entrenched business users.

Palm wont match Windows user experience, Androids freedom of choice, and it wont have Apple's image with consumers, or Blackberry's image with business. So I am betting HP just made a huge mistake buying Palm.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
We'll I'm *relatively* happy with my Palm Pixi on Sprint. WebOS is honestly fucking amazing and dare I say, fun to use? The hardware side of things however is a whole other story.. sadly. My first Pixi had a frozen red pixel in the middle, exchanged it for a new one. And now on this one the plastic screen is slowly coming off and fine particulates have gotten through the gaps and under the screen and have invaded the lower right hand corner of my viewing experience with pesky little black specs. The touchstone though is so cool and convenient. I would give the phone a 3.5/5. If Palm..ahem, I mean 'HP Palm' really knocks the hardware and build quality out of the park I'll be completely sold. Here's hoping it's not just going to be half a dozen plastic toys *finger crossed*

n00bxqb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
The problem w/ Palm's WebOS devices to date has never been the OS itself, but the sub-par hardware that it was on. I think most people who have used all the major mobile OSes and WebOS would tell you WebOS does multi-tasking as well as, if not better than, Android, Blackberry, iOS, and Windows Mobile.

As for the "disappointing" Palm Pre 2, Palm/HP had tons of unused Pres that weren't selling, so they put in better processors and more RAM just to run out the supply. In addition, you can't expect a completely new device designed from the ground-up 3 months after the buy-out and, let's face it, Palm didn't have the money to be engineering a brand new device prior to the sale to HP, so that's what it would have had to have been. Outside of the keyboard on the Pre, which is average to frustrating, depending on the size of your thumbs, everything else is pretty decent now that the processor and RAM have been upgraded to competitive specs for an entry-level smartphone. I love the form factor of the Pre; it fits well in a shirt pocket unlike most smartphones.

cmateski

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Why would anyone buy this device? The carriers have to give them away. Two fers.... Three fers... Palm came way too late to the party and cant keep up with the big dogs. They are eating a lot of humble pie. Why in the world would HP pay $1.2B for Palm? If you ask me, HP overpaid by $1B. Someone is going to lose their job over this incredible screw up.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I'm so disappointed with Palm. They were once at the top of this game, but lacked innovation. I remember having my Palm 650 and after 2 years, the new Palm 700p ran the same OS and wasn't much better than my 650. It's like they were just stagnant. Then came WebOS, but by then most Palm fans had moved on and were no longer interested.

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]cmateski[/nom]Why would anyone buy this device? The carriers have to give them away. Two fers.... Three fers... Palm came way too late to the party and cant keep up with the big dogs. They are eating a lot of humble pie. Why in the world would HP pay $1.2B for Palm? If you ask me, HP overpaid by $1B. Someone is going to lose their job over this incredible screw up.[/citation]
someone already did!!!
Mr hurt.. Mark Hurt if I am correct

G

Read my words and remember them:

webOS is the second best OS. It's second to iOS. Android is only as successful as it is because it is THE only alternative to iOS right now. Android is a shady OS that also offers shady apps. They are susessful because they have ENOUGH crummy apps. webOS is almost as simple and polished as iOS. The only thing that hoes it back is that palm has changed from one owner to next so there has been a learning curve to over come and a plan to build for the OS. The other problem is a major one and that's the fact that they have no apps to compete against apple. Once they build up developer support, this OS will compete with APPLE like no other.

G

I have no problem giving HP/ Palm time (I have a Pre Plus) while they focus on the hardware/ basic functions IF they would wake up and start by reviewing where Palm WAS with the Treo when they unceremoniously dumped the devices and OS. The smart move would have been to START WebOS and the Pre with AT LEAST the same functionality as the last Treo. Unfortunately, limited backward compatibility (requiring a 3rd party app), a lesser keyboard, far more limited features and functions in almost all areas (calendar/ alarm/ email/ etc.) hobbled by lack of obviously expected options such as mass delete, better sorting, finer control, no on-screen keyboard or voice command/dialing, etc. HOWEVER, these should all be easily corrected and, if the device were to receive some basic upgrades, truly would be a better alternative to many phones. Despite the slam to Android, and I agree as far as business/ productivity apps it is very weak, it DOES have the power of Google behind it which means much more integration and availability with Google applications as well as some really cool user apps not available on WebOS (yet). I'll stick with Palm/ HP for a while longer--but it does look like if they want to stay in the phone market.. they had better make their line "grow up" so that they can compete with the adult players in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.