HP Laptop, Installing Windows, Blue Screen!

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Hey guys,

I have done an extensive amount of research.

I have a HP laptop that had Vista pre-installed. I am trying to format it because it has a virus.

I have a windows XP cd for installation and formatting purposes. When loading the CD, it prompts me the "Blue Screen of Death" saying that I need to check for viruses.

In my BIOS, laptop bios, it does not have a screen where I can toggle between HDD IDE or ATA.

Any suggestions? I am simply trying format the whole computer and install XP.

Thanks,

Pluke.

G

Can you boot from a memory stick or a linux boot-cd? This way you can do some backup, format and then use that XP CD or recovery partition.

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I don't have a memory stick nor a linux boot-cd. I don't need to back anything up, I just need some help in Formatting the hard drive that came with Vista on it.

I am having issues formatting it with the XP CD. Hard to explain, but it is like when you got a hard drive that had raid and your trying to format and it gives you a blue screen error saying that you have a virus. Which under the "Normal" circumstances, switching the hard drive from IDE to ATA will fix these circumstances. But in my case, the Laptop doesn't have those options in bios.

G

No mem stick? My desk is littered with those :) Do you have a blank CD? Try creating a boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ or go grab a linux magazine from a store (these CD/DVDs are bootable and i think have tools to wipe the drive clean and re-partition it).