Solved! HP laptop speakers don't mute (Shut) when earphones are connected.

Jan 26, 2019
Just bought a used HP laptop, everything works fine.

One major issue I am facing is that the audio jack doesn't work. There is only one earphone Jack on the right side of the laptop.

At first there was no sound at all when I connected the earphones, the speakers were working though.

Then I updated the audio driver to the latest one, and I started to get audio in the earphones.

However, the audio in the speakers didn't stop. The volume comes out of the speakers irrespective of whether earphones are connected or not.

In simple words speakers don't mute when earphones are connected.

A solution to this problem will be highly appreciated.

Also must mention , it has beats audio speakers and IDT high definition Codec (Not Realtek)

If any further details are sought, please tell me. Laptop complete specs in link below.

HP Envy 15 J048tx

Specs : https://www.91mobiles.com/hp-15-j048tx-core-i7-4th-gen-8-gb-1-tb-windows-8-laptop-price-in-india-60616-amp

Solution
I would try updating the drivers. Should that not help, then there may be a problem with the port. If that is the case, the only fixes would be either to replace it, or to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter (they are pretty cheap) and connect through that.
Try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the heaphones (they must be plugged in) to highlight them. Not to open.
5. Right click on them and choose to set them as the "Default device".
6. The click "Apply" and "OK".
7. Now unplug the headphones and right click on the speakers. They should show as the default.

You should no longer get sound from the speakers when headphones are connected.

NOTE: If the headphones don't show in there, right click on the white background of that window and make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" is checked.

Should you still not see the them, right click on the "Speakers", only while the headphones/speakers are plugged in, and disable them (the speakers). This may resolve the issue. Be sure you test that the internal speakers work again, when you unplug the headphones/speakers.

Jan 26, 2019
@webworkings

This is exactly the part I am unable to figure out.

When I make headphones the default device all sound is lost, even the speakers also stop working. Although the green musical bar placed right next to the headphones in playback devices, goes up and down, when music is played ;

there is no sound anywhere in the headphones or Speakers.

Only when speakers are set as default device there is sound in both the speakers and the headphones at the same time.

I would try updating the drivers. Should that not help, then there may be a problem with the port. If that is the case, the only fixes would be either to replace it, or to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter (they are pretty cheap) and connect through that.

Solution