Solved! HP laptop strange powering on issue

Leecopp

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance before I take the laptop apart. For a while now my HP laptop will take about 5/6 attempts each time to completely turn on. When you press the power button, it will turn on for a second and then off, or turn on in the range of 3-10 seconds and then turn off. But then after a few attempts, the laptop will eventually boot up and load into windows and continues to function fine while on. Then when it comes to the next time turning the laptop on, the whole process starts again.

What do you guys think it could be?

I am on the verge of opening up and disconnecting parts to see if that affects the laptop from starting up. I have however already tried 3 different working power supplies and get the same issues.

Cheers

Solution
It sounds like it may be a thermal problem. Those are hard to find. Another way to confirm this would be to put your laptop in the fridge for 30 minutes or so (not the freezer) and see if the startup problem is worse. If it is, that pretty much confirms a thermal issues.

Often the problem is RAM, If you have two RAM cards, try starting up with just one then the other. Or take them out and put them in fridge and try then under a warm lamp for a while and try,.

The thing I used to do in the lab was use "freeze mist" spray. Be careful with that stuff as it is REALLY cold and can damage skin as well as electronic components. You can let the machine warm up with the cover off. Shut down and spray some freeze mist on various components one...
Unless you are experienced, taking a laptop apart often causes more problems than it fixes. One thing I would try to to set the power settings such that the laptop goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed. You can then reopen the cover an it should start automatically (depending on how long you left it closed). You can also try pressing the F2 key (I'm not sure of that, try F1-F4) and see if you get an HP menu that lets you run diagnostics. Run the long tests and see if anything shows up there. Also, does this problem also happen if you shut down while the machine is warmed up and then try to restart immediately?

Leecopp

Honorable
Aug 7, 2014
Unless you are experienced, taking a laptop apart often causes more problems than it fixes. One thing I would try to to set the power settings such that the laptop goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed. You can then reopen the cover an it should start automatically (depending on how long you left it closed). You can also try pressing the F2 key (I'm not sure of that, try F1-F4) and see if you get an HP menu that lets you run diagnostics. Run the long tests and see if anything shows up there. Also, does this problem also happen if you shut down while the machine is warmed up and then try to restart immediately?

Morning AIHuneke,

I do have experience taking computers apart and have done it many times, just never had this problem before. My main thought is that the motherboard s faulty.

I booted into the HP menu yesterday and ran both quick and then full tests on everything which all PASSED fine.

Once the machine is warmed up, I don't seem to have the problem. You can turn it off, and restart without a problem.

It's just when t has been off for a certain amount of time (say, overnight) and try to get it to turn on.

Today it only took 2 attempts.

Cheers

It sounds like it may be a thermal problem. Those are hard to find. Another way to confirm this would be to put your laptop in the fridge for 30 minutes or so (not the freezer) and see if the startup problem is worse. If it is, that pretty much confirms a thermal issues.

Often the problem is RAM, If you have two RAM cards, try starting up with just one then the other. Or take them out and put them in fridge and try then under a warm lamp for a while and try,.

The thing I used to do in the lab was use "freeze mist" spray. Be careful with that stuff as it is REALLY cold and can damage skin as well as electronic components. You can let the machine warm up with the cover off. Shut down and spray some freeze mist on various components one at a time until it won't start. I would stay away from mechanical things and use only moderate amounts. You may get lucky!

I trust you follow good anti-static procedures as you do all this...... Let me know if this helps.

Solution