HP laptop won't switch on

loula0701

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
Hi guys, I purchased a HP 250 G2, Windows 8.1 laptop 2 days ago and it worked fine initially but now won't switch on. It booted up OK today and allowed me online without any issues but then the F12 button turned orange and I couldn't get online. So I re-booted the laptop in the usual manner, no error messages appeared but now it won't switch back on. I tried pulling the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds to drain the battery, then re-connected the mains power but not the battery. Pressed the power button and the F12 button has the same orange light and the power light comes on but nothing else. Both lights are solid but after 30 seconds or so, they go off as well. I tried re-connecting the battery. Yet again, just the light on the F12 and power indicator switch come on but nothing else.

Surely it can't be a major hardware failure when it's only been used for a maximum of about 4 hours??? Obviously it has warranty but if anyone can offer any advice or suggestions of anything else I can try, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hello, it CAN be very well a hardware error. Failure probability follows a "bathtub" curve which shows higher failure rates in the beginning of the life of a product and towards the end. Failure rates are lowest after the early days during the normal life time of a product. It would be a failure conforming with theory and following the classical failure model then.

You do not say what the light on the F12 key means but i assume it is the WLAN status lamp.
If this is turning orange after being white without user interaction i can imagine very well that something hardware related went wrong at this moment, for example, a supply voltage suddenly failed.

I would have done the same you did (remove the battery and reboot so the device...

Vidua

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
Hello, it CAN be very well a hardware error. Failure probability follows a "bathtub" curve which shows higher failure rates in the beginning of the life of a product and towards the end. Failure rates are lowest after the early days during the normal life time of a product. It would be a failure conforming with theory and following the classical failure model then.

You do not say what the light on the F12 key means but i assume it is the WLAN status lamp.
If this is turning orange after being white without user interaction i can imagine very well that something hardware related went wrong at this moment, for example, a supply voltage suddenly failed.

I would have done the same you did (remove the battery and reboot so the device cannot keep locked up in an energized state) so i see no other way there.

What you could additionally do is to remove all removable components of the laptop like CDROM, WLAN module, second RAM module, screen connector etc. etc. to exclude that the error is coming from there but with a laptop under warranty this is not at all recommended.
If operation would be possible again after removal of a certain device then the fault would be correlated with this device.

If you don't hear beep codes and an externally connected display does not give you any more information (you might need to turn the according output on) then your device is most likely dead, as i would assume caused by a hardware problem. The fact that the device turns off after about 30 sec. points in the same direction, some logic inside seems to detect that something went wrong and shuts down.

Solution