HP Mini 311-1000 CTO PC Hanging Up

Dreyvas

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I'm having a strange problem with my netbook. It's only a few days old, and whenever anything even slightly intensive happens, the system will hang up. The sound will stutter very rapidly for about one second and the video will freeze for the duration of this effect. This happens during anything from installation to playing a game to something as simple as watching a standard definition video in VLC Player. I could be watching a video and downloading something, for instance, and when the "all downloads complete" notification comes up, the problem will occur. I've had it happen while playing a Genesis emulator, multiple times. I would normally just think it would be a problem of not enough system resources, but I used to have an Acer Aspire One and never once saw this happen, though the specs were much lower.

The specs on my netbook are as follows:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
• Intel Atom Processor N280 (1.66GHz, 512KB L2, 667Mhz FSB)
• 3GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
• 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
• NVIDIA ION with a 5-in-1 Digital Media slot (For the N280 processor)
• 11.6" diagonal HD LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)

I've tried updating, uninstalling and reinstalling the audio and video drivers multiple times both from HP and nVidia's websites and automatically finding drivers in Windows 7 and nothing seems to work. Any insight?

Dreyvas

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I'm fully aware of this. As noted, this is not an issue I had while performing the exact same tasks on my old netbook, even though the specs were much lower.