Solved! HP Omen 15-dc0009nia Strange Freeze

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
Hey, I bought this PC around 2 weeks ago and I've ran a few times into this problem. The last time it happened was yesterday - I was playing WoW and was listening to some songs on youtube, I was constantly alt-tabbing and the last time I alt-tabbed into WoW I just saw the borders of WoW and knew it would crash like that. The computer doesn't go into a blue screen or something, the monitor just gets the color of the window I'm alt-tabbing into and doesn't load the picture. I can't alt+f4, or any similar commands, but I can still hear the audio from youtube. I wasn't low on battery, and this has happened with other games as well, however not with all games.

I ran a storage, memory and some other test using the built-in hardware diagnostic tool and they all passed.

Solution
At least some times, yes. That or reboot it (power it off and back on) before putting it to sleep. Personally I turn mine off every day, but I know many people do not. This, however, is the only way to get back the resources once you have been using them.

Additionally, you may want to clear out your browser history, cache, etc. (just save anything you want/need first) as many browser will just keep everything, which again takes up space and uses resources.
Sounds like it may not be a problem with the laptop but a problem with resources. Depending on how much you are doing, lack of resources could easily cause what is happening to you.

Being online (browser), playing a graphic intensive game and running music videos at the same time could easily use up the resources on many devices. Especially if it is left on all the time (sleep an hibernate still leave it 'on') and other programs have been run (even if now closed) without the computer being restarted.

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
Sounds like it may not be a problem with the laptop but a problem with resources. Depending on how much you are doing, lack of resources could easily cause what is happening to you.

Being online (browser), playing a graphic intensive game and running music videos at the same time could easily use up the resources on many devices. Especially if it is left on all the time (sleep an hibernate still leave it 'on') and other programs have been run (even if now closed) without the computer being restarted.
What do you mean by resources?

I forgot to drop the laptops specs, so here they are:
8gb ram
gtx 1050 4gb
intel i5-8300h 2.3ghz
1tb storage

The more things you have going at a time, the more of the computers memory, etc., you are using. Even just closing something, but not turning off or rebooting the computer will not get all the resources that item(s) used. So the more you are doing, and the more you have done without having ever powered it off, the more is used up. Especially with things that take a lot, like videos, video games and other things that use a lot of resources.

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014
The more things you have going at a time, the more of the computers memory, etc., you are using. Even just closing something, but not turning off or rebooting the computer will not get all the resources that item(s) used. So the more you are doing, and the more you have done without having ever powered it off, the more is used up. Especially with things that take a lot, like videos, video games and other things that use a lot of resources.
So you suggest I don't put it on sleep, but instead power it off?

At least some times, yes. That or reboot it (power it off and back on) before putting it to sleep. Personally I turn mine off every day, but I know many people do not. This, however, is the only way to get back the resources once you have been using them.

Additionally, you may want to clear out your browser history, cache, etc. (just save anything you want/need first) as many browser will just keep everything, which again takes up space and uses resources.

Solution

Davor Vidojkovic

Honorable
Jun 28, 2014

Ever since I started shutting down the PC after every use it has stopped freezing. Thanks!