HP Patents Ink Cartridge Vending Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I sure hope the actual patent is much, much less vague than that excerpt. Sounds to me like such a patent could possibly prevent other companies from developing the same type of technology on their own, rather than foster innovation like patents were originally supposed to.

I'm not sure if that's the case. If so, shame on HP. If not, then kudos. If it's cheaper to stop by the vending machine and refill the cartridge than buying the new one, then I expect this will see lots of business.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
If you can live without color the HP LaserJet is the best bet. Reliable, fairly cost efficient and good quality.

We have a 10 year old LaserJet 1000 series and it is still printing just like new.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Personally I can't see myself using these vending machines when they come out. What happens if you lose money if the machine is faulty! I've had that happen to me plenty of times before using choc bar,etc vending machines. No way,Josey! I will not touch a single vending machine,I like the good old customer service idea of going into an office supply store & buying my ink cartridges...

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, I don't think you should be given a patent for this one. It's like patenting a vending machine for candy. Patent the vending machine but what it dispenses IMHO is unpatentable in my mind. Because you can put anything in there.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok, so if I have one vending machine with new cartridges and used cartridges (pretty much ANY vending machine could do this), one vending machine that refills/tests cartridges (this might be new and novel, don't know), and one vending machine that recycles old cartridges, and I duct-tape them all together, would I be in violation of this patent? It's not really clear to me what HP is trying to patent. I would think a machine that automatically refills and tests cartridges would be pretty cool. I think slapping that machine into another machine that also sells new and used cartridges is in no way actually inventing anything, and I wouldn't think that warrants a patent.

This would have been like Eli Whitney inventing the cotton gin, but in his patent application, he throws in things like: "This invention will contain one device that separates cotton from the seed, then it will contain one storage bin for the discarded seeds, and one storage bin for the cotton, and it will have a set of wheels as to be mobile." When in reality, the only thing people care about is the gin itself.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]I sure hope the actual patent is much, much less vague than that excerpt. Sounds to me like such a patent could possibly prevent other companies from developing the same type of technology on their own, rather than foster innovation like patents were originally supposed to.I'm not sure if that's the case. If so, shame on HP.[/citation]
That's exactly why they are doing it. I've already seen these machines set up by 3rd parties in grocery stores. Been there for years. This patent allows HP a cease & dissist injunction against those business without ever putting an HP machine in it's place.

G

It's not wonder HP is failing...

Soon ink will be obsolete, and they working on way to protect their cartridge business... rather than moving technology forward and away from pen and paper.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]That's exactly why they are doing it. I've already seen these machines set up by 3rd parties in grocery stores. Been there for years. This patent allows HP a cease & dissist injunction against those business without ever putting an HP machine in it's place.[/citation]
I am not so sure. I think that the existing machines would fall under "prior art". After all, they clearly existed before the HP patent.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
What's the point of using an ink printer with all its negatives (drying-out, smearing, ...) when one can buy a similar laser printer for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.