Question HP Pavilion bios update location changed

Jan 7, 2020
Ran HP support assistant tonight and updated some stuff. Bios update went great, except i had a brain fart and apparently set the bios update location to my downloads folder instead of leaving it alone like i should have. Laptop is working great, but the bios has bogarted my downloads folder. Is there any way to change the location of these files without bricking my Pavilion? or maybe update again or revert. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The BIOS update files usually are just one time update files and are not needed anymore after the update.

Not sure if I understand your problem though. Please describe exactly how you changed the location of the update folder.

Eventually uninstalling the HP support assistant or using a windows restore point from before changing the download folder

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
Im not really sure exactly what i did for it to install there. I was checking out the HP update utility, which showed a bios update and a graphics update. i clicked for the bios update which took me to download a separate bios updater program, which i let go to downloads. I ran the program from that folder. I got a box to choose a location for sp69897
https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/40/col48552-ob-143444-1-ob-143444-1_sp69897_releasedoc.html
"HOW TO USE:
1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions."

The files it extracted to my downloads folder are:
CrisisFolder in downloads contains
cryptrsa.efi
cryptrsa32.efi
HPbiosupdate.efi
HPbiosupdate.s09
HPbiosupdate.s12
HPbiosupdate.sig
HPbiosupdate32.efi
HPbiosupdate32.s09
HPbiosupdate32.s12
HPbiosupdate32.sig

Downloads folder files are:
0196DF240.bin
0196DF246.bin
01973f24.bin
CaslApp.exe
CaslApp.exe.hpsign
CrisisKeyDLL.dll
FlsHook.exe
FlsHook.txt
FlsHookDLL.dll
FWUpdLcl.exe
hpsupportassistant.exe (i think this was the file i directed here)
InsydeFlash.exe
InsydeFlash.log
InsydeFlashdriver.log
Iscflash.dll
Iscflash.sys
Iscflashx64.sys
platform.ini
xerces-c_2_7.dll

wasn't sure if i could rerun the updater, or if there was a way to properly move them to a more appropriate place, or what to do. Can i just make a folder in c: or someplace and drop them there?