Solved! HP Pavilion Black screen after laptop cleaning

Aug 4, 2018
Hey guys, thanks to anyone who has ideas/solutions, it's appreciated.

My Pavilion Laptop (Pavilion dv6-7138us Entertainment PC) was a one stop shop for me in college. It played games, edited videos, and streamed Netflix. A decent machine, and I soon got a fan platform to lay it on top of because the PC would get toasty for games and editing. Toward the end of college, it would get intolerably hot, and by the end, it would shut down about five minutes into starting a heavy game like Total War. I remember pushing it at this point to still play games like Jazzpunk and AoE 2 HD.

I wrote it off after college as I didn't need it as much, but decided to dust it off and use it as a blogging platform and maybe play Skyrim again. So I bought a nice silver thermal paste, some alcohol and qtips, and went to town taking it apart to clean the fan and processor/heatsink plate.

I followed several youtube dissections, as well as downloading hp's manual, didn't break anything, cleaned everything with little fanfare, used the dot method when applying thermal paste, and put it all back together exactly the way it came out. The only deviation was that I had lost the screw for my WLAN module. I figured this wasn't a biggie, so I tried out the laptop.

Flipped it over, pressed that power button and held my breath....screen did nothing, power light stayed solid, network light was red, and the caps lock light flashed continuously. To describe the flashing pattern, there were no discernable gaps between groups of flashes, just seemed like one ping. On for a second, off for a second, on, off, etc.

As for troubleshooting I've done so far, I've taken apart the entire thing to make sure I didn't leave anything unplugged or misplaced, guided by my prior experience and the manual, I've tried Ram and HDD seating resets, I've tried the tried and true 30 second reset, and I've tried assuming it's a BIOS issue, which involved trying to hold down the windows button plus V or B or just pressing down all arrow buttons. I also tried connecting it to my monitor via hdmi incase I mucked up the screen connection, and no dice. Finally in relation to BIOS, I tried installing BIOS on a flash drive as suggested by HP, and was met with the same flashing caps lock.

Does anyone have any ideas? This bad boy was like $800 on sale in 2012, and I hate to feel like I only got 3 good years out of it before it started becoming pretty useless. And now thatbI finally got the courage to open her up, it seems like she looks better than she's looked for awhile, but I can't get her to boot!

Edit- I should mention I plan to buy a new screw for that WLAN module in case that is somehow breaking everything, but I imagine that'd only hurt my wifi capability, not prevent a boot.

Solution
First, when you went back and checked the connections to make sure you didn't leave anything loose, did you make sure to unplug and then replug in the display connections? Sometimes just 'checking' to make sure it doesn't seem loose won't resolve the issue. It has to be disconnected and reconnected. Should this not help, then I would try the following...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display...
First, when you went back and checked the connections to make sure you didn't leave anything loose, did you make sure to unplug and then replug in the display connections? Sometimes just 'checking' to make sure it doesn't seem loose won't resolve the issue. It has to be disconnected and reconnected. Should this not help, then I would try the following...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution
Aug 4, 2018

Thank you for the response. The display cable is actually taped to the fam, so when I took out the fan to clean it, I had to disconnect it, and I reconnected it to the motherboard each time I dis/reassembled it. I did realize that testing an external monitor would be a good idea, so I tried that as well. My laptop actually does have an icon on the f4 button for external display control, so I've used that plenty in the past and tried it this time as well. Nothing was going when I tried, so I'm tending to believe that isn't the issue.

What I will do is I'll make sure to check the display again when I go home today. I'm fairly sure that I had connected the laptop to a monitor prior to powering it up, but it's possible I connected after.

Per your suggestion, I never did deconstruct the screen components to see if maybe the display ribbon came disconnected on the monitor side. Is this something you think I should check if the external monitor isn't working?

Thanks