HP Pavilion dm1 gray screen

twaanie

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
Hi there,

I read there about another tread with a laptop that had half his screen gray (http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2010581/envy-1105-half-screen-grey.html). I have an HP Pavilion dm1. Half of the screen appears to have a light gray on it. As you can see on the photos the gray less seeable when there is a darker colour then white on the screen

here are the photos: http://imgur.com/a/8wEea
they got to big when place in the thread itself

Solution
You can do it yourself if you feel confident in it. :) You need to keep track of your screws, but generally the prevailing method of replacing the screen is to:

1. Remove the frame/front LCD casing (also called the bezel)
2. Remove the screws that secure the screen to the back casing and from the hinges
3. Carefully remove the LCD data/video cable
4. Remove the brackets on the side of the screen, if applicable, and apply them to the new screen

*This is just a synopsis for the most common assemblies. Your laptop's screen assembly may vary and, thus, require different steps.

Of course if this seems daunting to you, you can take it to a shop (avoid the big box retailers, like Best Buy's Geek Squad or Staples Easy Tech, if those are...

twaanie

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014

Damn, I feared it, but I hoped it could be resolved in some other way. Thanks for the answer. Any tips about how to replace it? Or is it just the best to buy a new screen/let someone else repalce it?

You can do it yourself if you feel confident in it. :) You need to keep track of your screws, but generally the prevailing method of replacing the screen is to:

1. Remove the frame/front LCD casing (also called the bezel)
2. Remove the screws that secure the screen to the back casing and from the hinges
3. Carefully remove the LCD data/video cable
4. Remove the brackets on the side of the screen, if applicable, and apply them to the new screen

*This is just a synopsis for the most common assemblies. Your laptop's screen assembly may vary and, thus, require different steps.

Of course if this seems daunting to you, you can take it to a shop (avoid the big box retailers, like Best Buy's Geek Squad or Staples Easy Tech, if those are available to you). Expect to pay more for the part, though, on top of their labor fee.

Solution

twaanie

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014

Thanks alot. I will probably take it to someone that has a bit more knowledge about it, because I personally don't know a lot aobut tech etc. Maybe i buy another notebook buut it's hard to find one with a long battery. Thanks again :)