Solved! hp pavilion dv 2500 forums

G

my dv 2500 laptop will not turn on. only the power led lights up when the ac adpter is plugged in. when the power switch is pressed, nothing happens - no beep no blink. any suggestions?

Solution
What he means is that there is an issue with the power on assembly, i.e. wires, etc... below the button. It may be worthwhile to take the laptop apart (if it still isn't under warranty; if it is, send it in to HP) and check out the connections from the power button to the motherboard.

rjs_46

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
my dv 2500 laptop will not turn on. only the power led lights up when the ac adpter is plugged in. when the power switch is pressed, nothing happens - no beep no blink. any suggestions?
I have one that not even the quick start lights will work but blue dc jack light is on

What he means is that there is an issue with the power on assembly, i.e. wires, etc... below the button. It may be worthwhile to take the laptop apart (if it still isn't under warranty; if it is, send it in to HP) and check out the connections from the power button to the motherboard.

Solution

rjs_46

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

/but isn't true quickstart pulls power from different location? So could both power switch and ribbon cable bad or replace all along with panel

juanmdoy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

After close examination, found that the USB port was shorted. This was a clear visual short. PIN 1 is +5v for the USB which is Vcc or 5v for powering device that is plugged into port. With a dead short the power controller (usually a MAXIM IC) will not allow the rest of the unit to turn on. Though making troubleshooting a little more challenging, it protects the motherboard from additional damage as well as other parts.
Remove damaged USB port
Clean solder holes
Replace USB port
Test
Reassemble
Test Again.

http://mayohardware.blogspot.com/2011/02/dv-2500dv2000-se-will-not-postno-power.html