HP Pavilion DV7 black/white screen while booting

busterofsouls

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
I have just bought a DV7 that was claimed as not working on ebay. When I received it, I cleaned it of dust and replaced the hard drive with an ssd. It does this problem with the old drive also. But while booting it is just a black or gray screen until it gets to windows. (The boot time seems to be very long, about 30 seconds to a minute) If i connect a external display thru VGA or HDMI it shows it on that monitor but not on the laptop screen. I've tried re-seating the screen connector and cleaned the connector. In windows there is no problem. you can move it around tap on it and never a flicker.

Hi,

If the same problem is happening as well with the external monitor that could mean it's a hardware problem already. (GPU) Please do try doing a clean install of the graphics card driver as well that may do the trick.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- Do also check for any BIOS update available for your laptop.

busterofsouls

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014

No the external monitor is fine the whole time. no bugs or black screens. Ive tried multiple times with the video drivers and switching between the integrated and dedicated gpu. nothing seems to do the trick.