hp pavilion g6 windows 7 plugged in not charging. Help?

jnybob11

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
hp pavilion g6 windows 7 plugged in not charging. This is the message I am getting. Sometimes the battery will charge if the laptop is turned off, but usually not. The % value is different most times. So something is going on. Any ideas? I have combed the help forums for several days looking for an answer. I have uninstalled the acpi-complient controo method, and this helps sometimes but just for a bit. It has not fully charged. I ran the battery down until the laptop turned itself off. Removed the batt and reinstalled the batt. Still won't charge. yesterday morning I turned it on and had the same problem, the batt was at 57%. This morning it was at 29%. A week ago, it was at 89% when I started windows. The batt is new, genuine hp part, I paid almost a hundred dollars for it. I haved changed the ac adapter with no results. Any help will be appreciated. I have had this computer a long, long time and it hasn't had any major problems. Does anyone think restore or the recover would help? Thanks in advance for your time.
John

Solution
It's difficult to be 100% certain with laptop charging issues.

My 'best guess' is that the charging circuit is working fine and the problem is the battery. Every symptom you mention points to this. The blinking led and the "plugged in, charging." message indicate that the charging circuit is sending juice to the battery - it seems the battery simply can't take a charge. I know you said you just bought a new battery but ... I'm thinking it is a 'dud'. Is it new enough that you can return/exchange it?
Well if it won't charge at all, laptop on or off (or only sometimes when off), and it is having odd percentage changes, I would say you need a new battery. Those are very common reactions to a battery going bad. They don't last forever.

If, however, it will charge (all the time) when turned off, but not when turned on, then I would say your charger is going bad and needs replacing.

jnybob11

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Thank you Comeback kid. I have replaced the battery with a new one, correct for my computer, and I have replaced the charger with the correct model for my computer. I still have the problem. Thanks for your time.

So even with the new battery (assuming it isn't an aftermarket one) and a new charger (again assuming not aftermarket) it is still giving you this problem?

If it is still doing this, and you got OEM parts, then I would say you may need to have the charging circuit on the motherboard (if not the whole motherboard) replaced. However, if the parts you got are after market ones, same specs or not, it could still be the parts. After market stuff is kind of hit or miss in working correctly.

robert600

Distinguished
You haven't mentioned what the led (beside the port where you plug the adapter in) is doing. When the laptop is off and the adapter plugged in (with the battery installed) .... is that led blinking or steadily on or completely off?

jnybob11

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Hi robert600, thanks for your response. The light is blinking, all the time, I think. I haven't noticed the led . staying on. I think it is blinking all the time. Right now, with the laptop on, the led is blinking, the adapter is plugged in. The message on the icon in the task bar, "plugged in, charging." the power level is at 49%, and hasn't changed since I powered up the laptop an hour ago. I always turn it off at night, and plug in the adapter.

robert600

Distinguished
It's difficult to be 100% certain with laptop charging issues.

My 'best guess' is that the charging circuit is working fine and the problem is the battery. Every symptom you mention points to this. The blinking led and the "plugged in, charging." message indicate that the charging circuit is sending juice to the battery - it seems the battery simply can't take a charge. I know you said you just bought a new battery but ... I'm thinking it is a 'dud'. Is it new enough that you can return/exchange it?

Solution

jnybob11

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014