Hp Pavilion power 15 fans always on

jack1228

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
Hello,

I recently purchased a Hp pavilion power 15 (2017 model) with a core i5 7300HQ, a gtx 1050 2gb and a 1 tb 7200rpm hard drive. The laptop works fine but the fans are always on, regardless of the workload; this added to the noise of the hard drive is pretty annoying. I have tried to change the BIOS settings but the only one that I found "Fan always on" if disabled doesn't have any effect. I also went in the advanced settings of my power plan and changed the "system cooling policy" to passive" without any result. Lastly i checked if there was any BIOS update addressing this issue but there aren't.
Is there any way I can change the fan behavior at least slowing them down while doing light tasks?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jack

You can try using a program to make changes to the fan settings. There are quite a few out there, but they don't always work with laptop fans. Speedfan is one.

However, it may be needed for that particular device if it overheats easily. If it is that new, and is an issue that is something you don't want to happen, then I would suggest returning the device and getting a replacement. It may just be that device. However, if it happens again, then I would look into a totally different one.

jack1228

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

I tried to download speedfan and other programs but they are not compatible. However they allowed me to see the temperatures and at idle the cpu is around 37 C with the fans on. It's pretty cool so I don't see why the fans have to spin.

jack1228

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

The thing is that I have heard of people who have this laptop and don't have this problem. I hope that someone who owns it will reply