HP Pavillion laptop won't boot up with battery.

VolcanicAsh

Estimable
May 8, 2014
Hello,

I have an HP Pavillion DV6-2133ee which is getting quite old now. Yesterday, I sent it over to a shop owned by my friend's family to have its fan cleaned, and I also bought a new battery and charger. HP Support Assistant has been telling me my old battery needs replacement for around 3 years, but I almost always used the laptop while it's plugged in so I didn't care too much. When I first booted it up in the shop, with the new battery, charger and after getting the fan cleaned, it worked fine (for the 1 or 2 minutes I left it on) so I thought everything was okay and went home. I got home and charged the battery for 8 hours as the guy advised (not quite sure this is valid advice, I should've looked it up). This is all I have observed about the problem so far:

1. I boot up the laptop with the new battery, it works for 10 minutes or so then dies.
2. I boot it up again, new battery, works for 5 minutes and dies. It won't start if it's not plugged in.
3. After a while, it almost always won't boot up if any of the batteries are installed. To be more specific, it gets stuck at the "HP" screen before loading windows. It usually doesn't show the "press esc. for start up options" message at the bottom of the screen, and if it does, nothing usually happens if I press esc. Only boots up if it's connected to the adapter and the battery is removed (and start up options work alright). It gave a "battery critical" message during start up once or twice. If it does boot up with the battery in, it dies in a maximum of 5 minutes.
4. Sometimes it can detect a battery if I put it in after it's powered up. Sometimes it can't. Sometimes it dies instantly if I put in the battery and unplug the charger, and sometimes it dies after 1-2 minutes.
5. The new battery's levels keep jumping up and down between 1-2% and 87-99%
6. Battery LED (shaped like lightning bolt, the one that's usually next to HDD LED) is usually on when the laptop's turned on and I insert the battery after boot, but sometimes it blinks after I power it down.

Here's what I've tried so far:
1- Checked my BIOS. The version I have was released just a week before the latest version (which only adds support for newer processors), so I did not flash a new BIOS.
2-Checked HP Support Assistant battery diagnostics. It says that the old battery needs replacement, as it always has. However, for the new battery, it once said it needs calibration, it once said it needs replacement and has said that it's good to go about 7 or 8 times.
3- Tried running the battery check tool from start up options, but it says it needed a time of 8 hours for each of them so I skipped that for now.
4- Discharged static by holding down power button for 30 seconds while laptop is disconnected from everything including battery and charger.
5- Checked charger power rating. It's 90W, same as the 2 chargers I previously owned.

One more thing I noticed is that in the past hour or so, the laptop HDD seems to work a little harder than usual (indicator light stays on for longer periods of time [several minutes] instead of the usual blinking).
I'm currently backing up and will be re-installing windows soon, it's highly unlikely it will fix anything but doesn't hurt to try.

Is there anything left I can do? The only thing I can think of at the moment is a damaged motherboard but I'm trying to avoid thinking about that for now...

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to convey all I know about the problem.

Edit: sorry for wrong title, it's 3 AM here and I'm dead tired.

Lynkdeath

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
You probably gave up on this thread but here goes what I just encountered. Battery was an issue or so I thought, but the issue was with the connection of the battery to the motherboard. I took a small emery board and cleaned the connections on the motherboard, while the laptop was unplugged. As far as charging the battery for that length of time, it is highly recommended to fully charge a new battery before using it.

Hope this helps, if not least you know someone read your post.