Question HP Power UP Behavior

Nov 20, 2019
For days my laptop would not power up, even after trying all the reset options. This morning it came up right away. What is going on?

Nov 20, 2019
If any sodder joints were loose they must have cooled down and reattached. System failure is imminent. I recommend you back-up whatever you have while you can -MrMasco

Nov 20, 2019
MrMasco.... I don't think your reply has anything to do with this thread. Perhaps it was meant for another one.

On the contrary. Any loose sodder joint or connection of CPU or IC chip could be the culprit. As the machine cools down, connections can be reestablished. Perhaps the battery may have fully discharged and allowed the machine to reset. It's all speculation. -MrMasco

Nov 20, 2019
When the laptop would NOT power up there were no lights or sounds, though I did get a text from Microsoft that I owed $22,567.98 in senior licensing fees :).
HP Pavilion Laptop.
All HP diagnostic tests passed. All Windows software (malware etc) passed.

The solder points issue is one I considered. My backups have backups, fortunately.
I do not ever run on battery, only AC

Apologies.

Were it me, I would think either ...
  1. It didn't have enough of a charge (battery) and charger not fully connected.
  2. Something was overheated (due to long use before turned off). (As stated by MrMasco as well.)
  3. Something is to cold (if room temp is to cold) and not allowing it to start (usually CPU/GPU, etc.).
  4. The power button is sticking and not connecting properly, hindering turning on.

Reactions: MrMasco
Nov 20, 2019
About a year ago I set the bios so the fan is not on all the time, only when needed.
I wondered if that could be playing into this problem.

I never run on the battery

Computer is always at room temperature

Power button, maybe.
Loose connection in power jack, maybe.
Evil goblins living under the keypad, probably not.

Trolls perhaps? ;)

Messing with the fan settings could lead to a problem of overheating. Rather odd that it would run all the time, as they are only supposed to come on when needed. Unless the overheating was already going on and causing the fan to run more?

Try setting back to choose when it runs on its own and see if it improves. If so, then you know it something overheating.