HP rolls out 20 inch monster laptop

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Check this little beauty out:

HDX9000

Santa Rosa platform, 20" wuxga screen, HDTV tuner, ATI graphics etc...

Too bad Tom's hasn't had a chance to review this monster yet.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Didn't DELL discontinue their 20" notebooks?
The other thing that article mentions is the power supply, and they are right, it is a monster.

I was calling a place for power cords, and for kicks wanted to get a price on the power supplies for my 20" to see if they could get them to me cheaper. When I told them the amps and volts the guy was like, "Man, that's allot of power! We don't have anything like that."

One thing I will say, I haven't seen these, but I am guessing there aren't allot of people making 20.1" LCD's for notebooks. If it is the same LCD manufacturer as the Assassin... the screen is the best screen I have ever seen ever, not only of notebooks, but desktops, televisions... anything.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The screen IS the main selling point for this unit. And it's about time somebody (HP) took the step to put WUXGA in a 20" screen.

I think for 20" screens to really show their stuff however, they'll need to push WQVGA resolution. 17" screens can already perform at 1920x1200, it would seem only logical for a 20 incher to go higher.

And for 20" screens to sell, they will have to come down in price! $4000 is just too high when all you're getting is 3 inches more of LCD real estate.

The thing that bothers me with all the 19" and 20" laptops out there is not the size, or the weight, or even the power draw; it's the huge WASTE OF SPACE inside the box. Maybe they're just not fabricating the components as tightly as they would in a 12" ultra-portable, but consider the fact that A LOT of 17" units can already be purchased with 2-3 hard drives, SLI graphics and in some cases dual optical drives installed. I just cannot see why they are not able to intelligently use the extra space that a 20" LCD would offer, the size of the case is enormous, there's a ton of room underneath that keyboard.

I'm guessing that as 20" laptops become more widespread in the coming years, the platform will evolve the same way 17" notebooks have done.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well, just because 17" have WUXGA 1920x1200, doesn't mean that it is necessarily a must have, in fact, it is pretty small on a 17".

WUXGA was designed for 20+ monitors, and yes, I agree with you that a 20.1" notebook should be WUXGA, I must disagree going much higher though.

I don't see how you are going to get the price below $4,000 w/o sacraficing something with the machine. I mean, everyone wants the new x7800 CPU, but no one wants to pay the $800 for it. Everyone wants dual 7950's or 8800's, yet, scoffs when you tell them that is $1,000 - $1,200 in video cards alone. Of course, 2 or 3 160 GB 7200 rpm hard drives... that's another $600. 4 GB of RAM... sign me up. Not a dual layer DVD, oh no everyone now must have slim BluRay DVD's... it's crazy. Not because htey want it, but because they don't factor in the cost of leading edge, in some cases... bleeding edge technology.

turidani

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Notebook manufacturers seemingly lost their common sense, "reinventing" the glaring, reflecting, shiny display surface, after they got the perfectly non-glare ones.

I am using a 24" WUXGA desktop LCD with matt display surface, and by no way would pay for this reflecting LCD crap to watch the reflected lamps on the screen for my money.

I can't belive, the notebook industry became so stupid, that they even replace non-glare screens by this reflecting one.

It seems, they have no clue about a good PC...

turidani

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
You shouldn't belive, that color rendition can be different on matt or glossy surface.
It is only quality of the color filters, that matters.

I can admit, that a shiny surface can be gorgeous anywhere, but do you really want buy a computer just to watch the reflection of your own face, or what?

I have been working in front of displays, 10-12 hours a day, since 1991, or so.
Belive me, I have some glue about what is a useful monitor, and what is not.

Even my first display was a 17" Sony Trinitron, with antireflection coating.
And I never saw my face reflection on the screen.

Other guys with commodity monitors used to buy "antireflection screens" to survive.
Should we again buy those stupid stuff again?

Look, nobody want to buy such an expensive thing like this HDX9000, just because it has shiny surfaces. They definitely buy it for hard work.

And people used to buy a portable PC definitely to use it any place, with any lighting condition.

Like in a well-illumunated hall, with a lot of shiny lamps on the ceiling, right behind him.

Any display reflections can be a killer there.

And a real monster killer, if you want to use a high-resolution monitor, displaying tiny details or dense rows of text. I know, I saw it hundred times.

So belive me, only a brain dead can think, that a shiny display can be useful for any portable computer.

And computer manufacturers shouldn't allow brain deads to design computers.

Especially not a name like HP.