hp serial changed after repairing

Ahmed Saif

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
My hp envy dv7 7227cl has stopped working and the repair told me he have changed the bios software and the gpu chip but when came to me and i powered it the model and serial and product code all has been changed and different from all serials on the pack of my laptop under the battery. So can what he changed make that and my model says it's now dv6 not dv7 like what I know and the original serial from the box says it's dv7 7227cl. So please help me can this be true or he stole mine. Thanks in advance

Solution
It sounds like he may have changed the whole MB out because the dv 7227cl and dv6 are very similar in terms of specs. The only difference I could find between the two was in the screens, the dv 7227cl is a bigger laptop with a 17.3 inch screen, and the dv6 has a 15 inch screen. This also bleeds into the maximum stated resolution, the dv7 has a 1600x900 resolution and the dv6 1366x768.

Check what is the maximum resolution is for your laptop, if it is 1600x900 then you probably don't need to worry about anything. If it is 1366x768 you should ask your repair person for a refund or for him to find a way to get your resolution back to 1600x900.

Overall I do not think he was trying to cheat you, it sounds more like he was repairing your...

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
It sounds like he may have changed the whole MB out because the dv 7227cl and dv6 are very similar in terms of specs. The only difference I could find between the two was in the screens, the dv 7227cl is a bigger laptop with a 17.3 inch screen, and the dv6 has a 15 inch screen. This also bleeds into the maximum stated resolution, the dv7 has a 1600x900 resolution and the dv6 1366x768.

Check what is the maximum resolution is for your laptop, if it is 1600x900 then you probably don't need to worry about anything. If it is 1366x768 you should ask your repair person for a refund or for him to find a way to get your resolution back to 1600x900.

Overall I do not think he was trying to cheat you, it sounds more like he was repairing your laptop with whatever was on hand and the dv6 was a close enough fit because it has nearly the same specs.

Solution

Ahmed Saif

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
Thanks all for reply but now tow of you says it's not my laptop and that's what I think too but the another problem is now my windows need to activate again and Microsoft didn't help me because it's not there fault and the agent at hp insist it's my lap and what he changed make that happen so please i need confirmed reply that the change of bios and gpu can effects all serials and model too not just the serial of the new bios and gpu because I need a trusted words so I can response to him and thank you again

USAFRet

Illustrious

You had an HP Envy
You took it in for repair
You got it back, with different serial numbers. Different physical numbers on the case.
And now the OS is not activated?

This is 100% the fault of the repair shop.