HP Spectre USB C Port Malfunctioning

pastcatch

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
Hey everyone,

Weird situation and not sure where to go next. Already spent about 2 hours troubleshooting and trying to fix this and wish I could throw the dam thing out of the window.

To the point...

I bought a new HP Spectre from Costco in August of 2016. Details:
New HP Spectre 13.3"
-6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz with turbo boost up to 2.8GHz, 3MB L3 Cache
-8GB Lpddr3 SDRAM
-256GB PCIE NVMe m.2 Solid State Drive
-Intel HD Graphics 520 with up to 4185 MB total Graphics Memory
-Windows 10 Home
-13.3 diagonal fhd ips uwva brightview corning gorilla glass wled-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)

This lovely piece of machinery only has USB C ports, which up until now haven't been a huge issue. To use the mouse Ive had for awhile, I purchased an adapter (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/361870812773) from BestBuy. It's been working as expected for the last few months until the last two days.

What happening is quite weird and consistent in timing as it only takes about 10 minutes for the mouse to stop working all together. The laptop makes the device removed sound, then the device found sound and then Windows 10 has a pop up about the USB port malfunctioning.

Ive taken a number of actions to try and remedy, some of worked longer than others but none for more than 1 session and on repeating, do not work again. Here is what IVe done:

1) Gone into device manager, found the failed slow and updated drivers - worked for about 15 minutes
2) Gone into device manager, uninstalled the device, powered down, started up and allowed for driver re-install on inserting device - worked for an evening
3) Used the troubleshooter to repair - worked for an evening
4) Installed all pending updates through HP Support Assistant, restarted - worked for an hou

Ive searched multiple forums, the HP support forums and havent even found anyone else experiencing the same problem. I did discover that HP had put limitations on third party charging devices, but nothing about auxiliary accessories like adapters.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I could do?

Solution
Either your hub/adapter is bad or the laptop USB port is bad.

Try a different hub (preferably buy from local vendor to easily return) and if that is bad then send laptop in for warranty