Solved! HP Spectre x360 Intermittent Grinding Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2019
I have an HP Spectre x360 13‐4195nr and it has been sporadically making a scratching/grinding noise for about the past year. It had been rather infrequent until recently. The computer has an SSD and it is coming from the area where the cooling fan is located. The noise does not sound like other kind of steady whirring, if you like, fan issue sounds I've been able to locate online, however.

When the sound does happen, it usually only occurs after the computer is restarted and previously didn't last more than a few minutes although it's been fairly consistent the past couple days. I wanted to see if there might be alternative suggestions before I order the replacement fan and go down that road.

Here's a YouTube link to the noise it makes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUvgg2Y-ddk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for any help/recommendations

David

Solution
That is totally a fan sound. Sounds a lot like it is either hitting something/something is hitting it, it is full of dust and debris, or it is going bad.

If the laptop is under warranty, then contact the manufacturer. If it isn't then you have the option of trying to do the work yourself. First checking it for anything hitting it and also cleaning out the interior of dust and debris, or taking it to a local tech to have them do it.
That is totally a fan sound. Sounds a lot like it is either hitting something/something is hitting it, it is full of dust and debris, or it is going bad.

If the laptop is under warranty, then contact the manufacturer. If it isn't then you have the option of trying to do the work yourself. First checking it for anything hitting it and also cleaning out the interior of dust and debris, or taking it to a local tech to have them do it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.