HP Tabs to Pack Wireless Charger, Cloud Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Oh boy! I just can't wait for the HP App Store! It almost seems like these big greedy companies are only producing tablets and smart phones so you have no choice but to use THEIR app store.
Frankly, the whole notion of an "app store" sickens me. 90% of these "apps" are just web content in a custom wrapper.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Oh boy! I just can't wait for the HP App Store! It almost seems like these big greedy companies are only producing tablets and smart phones so you have no choice but to use THEIR app store. Frankly, the whole notion of an "app store" sickens me. 90% of these "apps" are just web content in a custom wrapper.[/citation]

Give my experience with WebOS, you don't need access to the app store to install apps on the OS. There were apps to be had to load any palm app files (.ipk) onto the machine. I except that this loading app will be updated to support this OS and allow this ability...

You can't beat Apple by mocking them, you have to dig deep and allow free apps to be installed and never use the app store... Open the OS to developers and let the ones who want to give it away do so, and ones who want to make money use the app store...

See you spout off, yet have never really used a webOS device... you may claim you have, but then you would know about how to load apps right on to it... no app store needed...

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]rhelme[/nom]Give my experience with WebOS, you don't need access to the app store to install apps on the OS. There were apps to be had to load any palm app files (.ipk) onto the machine. I except that this loading app will be updated to support this OS and allow this ability... You can't beat Apple by mocking them, you have to dig deep and allow free apps to be installed and never use the app store... Open the OS to developers and let the ones who want to give it away do so, and ones who want to make money use the app store...See you spout off, yet have never really used a webOS device... you may claim you have, but then you would know about how to load apps right on to it... no app store needed...[/citation]

In English please?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Frankly, the whole notion of an "app store" sickens me. 90% of these "apps" are just web content in a custom wrapper.[/citation]
YES! THANK YOU FOR SAYING WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN THINKING. App stores seem to work better for Mac people cause they don't seem to understand what you just said.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
to put what rhelme said in simpler terms

palm's don't need an app store, yes there will be one, but the palm community has many apps out there for free to download outside of the app store.

an app store is for people who don't understand that they are paying for something that is likely free and just reformatin, a gui change.... except a few games btu there are planty of free games for palms

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]KingArcher[/nom]I want to see Cloud based computing and storage go the dodo way. Who's with me?[/citation]
It depends, I find it useful for things like, backups, accessing needed documents from anywhere and things like that. But I really hope they abandon it for things like games. Steam gets on my nerves.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
What's the big deal about app stores? Yes, there seem to be too many but they are useful aggregators of apps. What I DON'T like is when manufacturers block you from loading apps outside their app store. Other than that they're fine.

G

WebOS allows you to load apps from other sources. The standard route is to use a PC to add the PreWare app, which is an app finder/installer. To "root" the phone you just enter webos200906 or upupdowndownbastart in the search bar and it will ask you if you want to put your phone in developer mode (which will let you screw it up).

And WebOS already had some cloud-like features. The phone syncs your contacts, email accounts, calendar, app install list, and some other basic stuff to Palm servers. If you fubar your phone and need to reset it to factory clean or lose it, you just add your account info and it will download your info.

It's not a full backup but it covers the high points.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I wouldn't get an iPad - the idea of it just isn't useful for my needs. But this, this is a different story. I might get this simply because there is too much awesome involved to not get it.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
How can cloud-computing be a new milestone? It was done already back in the days, then you had a weak terminal and hooked up to a powerful mainframe who did all processing and had all storage.

Same basic idea just different name! Fun to hear everyone all the cloud "freaks" speak about the new thing in computing while its mainy a step back to the terminal-mainframe era

Status
Not open for further replies.