HP: TouchPad Isn't Trying to Compete with iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]When W8 Tablet comes out next year Android tablets are done. The iPad will survive because of the Apple funboys. If RIM actually finishes the Playbook, still a beta device IMO, it might stick around too because of all the BB users. But Android based tablets will be RIP.[/citation]
we hear your rant MS fanboy.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]What's the point of Android tablets once W8 comes out? Spend $500 on a tablet that runs apps or spend $500 on a tablet that runs a real OS and runs real programs? fanboy? far from it...called common sense.[/citation]
He has a point, and as much as I love Android, I have to accept that this will partly be true!

I hate tablets though, but perhaps that's because they are just not functional enough

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]What's the point of Android tablets once W8 comes out? Spend $500 on a tablet that runs apps or spend $500 on a tablet that runs a real OS and runs real programs? fanboy? far from it...called common sense.[/citation]
Everything I've seen from W8, both tablet and desktop, have lead me to believe Windows 8 is going to be nothing more than a giant Windows Phone.

Whats even more-so, is that you will have to use Win 8's new HTML5/JavaScript/CSS-based programming environment in order to be cross platform between the tablet and desktop. ON TOP OF THAT, any application that is currently running under Windows XP, Vista, or 7 will not run on ARM-based Windows 8 tablets. Which means the tablets will have to run x86, which is more expensive and not exactly a tablet friendly platform quite yet.

So in reality, these "real" applications Microsoft claims they can run don't even exist yet, and will probably not exist until Microsoft gains a share-hold in the tablet world. Which could take months, if not years, after they release the tablet. So, Android (and iOS) on a tablet platform will do just fine.

Don't be fooled by the Microsoft marketing engine. It isn't all roses and peaches in the W8 tablet world.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
It's apples & pears. Why would you want an apple if you wanted a pear & vice versa. If it's potatoes & patatas, go get a clone if you don't want the real thing. Pleanty of appels, oplles, & aples out there...

laur3ooo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]When W8 Tablet comes out next year Android tablets are done. The iPad will survive because of the Apple funboys. If RIM actually finishes the Playbook, still a beta device IMO, it might stick around too because of all the BB users. But Android based tablets will be RIP.[/citation]
Except the fact that its battery is gonna suck donkey if it will be running on x86. No matter what Microsoft says, unless there's an universal binary type deal like it was for OSX code is not gonna run so easily on ARM, especially legacy crap. Office will work because they (Microsoft) ported the code. If there are no easy ways then it ain't gonna happen.
If Microsoft scraps a lot of the legacy code for the ARM version and slims the down the system Windows could be great for ARM. But the thing is, this will mean only new(ish) apps will work and which will put it in the exact same position as Android and WP7 was.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Everything I've seen from W8, both tablet and desktop, have lead me to believe Windows 8 is going to be nothing more than a giant Windows Phone.Whats even more-so, is that you will have to use Win 8's new HTML5/JavaScript/CSS-based programming environment in order to be cross platform between the tablet and desktop. ON TOP OF THAT, any application that is currently running under Windows XP, Vista, or 7 will not run on ARM-based Windows 8 tablets. Which means the tablets will have to run x86, which is more expensive and not exactly a tablet friendly platform quite yet.So in reality, these "real" applications Microsoft claims they can run don't even exist yet, and will probably not exist until Microsoft gains a share-hold in the tablet world. Which could take months, if not years, after they release the tablet. So, Android (and iOS) on a tablet platform will do just fine.Don't be fooled by the Microsoft marketing engine. It isn't all roses and peaches in the W8 tablet world.[/citation]
No, my friend. Many desktop applications are NOT stuck to x86. In fact, they were written based on .NET Framework. So if Win 8 tablet supports .NET Framework, these software will run just fine.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
to everyone talking about the arm vs x86 i want you to think of it this way.

there are really 6 oses. windows, linux, and osx and crap ports between them. than there is android, ios, and win8.

look at this realisticly. if windows manages to get tablets to be treated like real computers, than all the win 8 crap will port to other oses too. and if the tablets use x86, what will that do? really? it will force a bigger battery, because we have realy high power chips at low watts already for x86, its fully possible that amd will take that segment with its great apus.

what what matters most isnt the program for inter platform use, its the files they output, because everything can read a jpeg, but not everything can run an app.

really the one thing that i want to see is wacom get into the tablet market, because i would so buy a wacom interface tablet over the crappy finger only screens, because i would love to use a pen to be able to draw and paint.

G

What most are failing to realize is that virtually EVERY tablet besides the iPad lacks the one thing that Apple has....iTunes. Laugh if you want but no vendor can offer a turnkey solution to the consumer. And if W8 fanboy thinks MS has a chance in this market with Balmer at the helm he better sell his stock sooner than later.

Mark my words, we are witnessing the iPod revolution all over again 10 years later with the iPad, only this time the stakes are much larger. Many will try and all will fail except for a niche player here and there. The industry is going through a paradigm shift as we speak and most CEO's and a lot of so called industry experts are too narrow minded to realize or admit it. By this time next year Apple will be the largest seller of PC's in the world. Bookmark this page and come back in a year to pat me on the back for being right.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Funny thing about the TouchPad... it the most iPad looking tabler out there, that isn't an iPad. Both the front face, the screen aspect ratio and its GUI interface.

Wish them luck... who knows, if they really have a different angle that works... then we'll know in a a year, right? But WebOS is like iOS and Android... they are not running a desktop OS... which is not needed for such a form factor.

Sure Win8 has the tablet-touch interface on top... but the amount of memory and CPU power required to run a FULLY functional OS? I'm not going to be expecting much.

Sorry HP... but yeah, you WILL be competing for iPads, which are not all being bought by Apple fan boys. Take a page from the Play Book... iOS and Android are more mature, coming out with a half-baked product can sink YOU.

@alidan
There has been MS-windows pen-based tablets since 2001... Lenovo sells one starting at about $1600. I believe the RIM Playbook also has a pen for certain operations.

Pen-based tablets can be useful... Finger based ones are better because you're not going to get the "wheres my stylus?". I played with the ACER dual-screen notebook in the store (the 2nd screen is the KEYBOARD)... you have this rather NEAT looking star-trek like device that costs well over $1000.

Its a piece of junk... typing on it hurts... and for heavy typers, that means dead screen sooner or later. The software is buggy, its hot, it eats battery juice like a fish drinks water, its heavier.
All the problems expected for such a form-factor have proven true. But it does look neat.

laur3ooo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]to everyone talking about the arm vs x86 i want you to think of it this way.there are really 6 oses. windows, linux, and osx and crap ports between them. than there is android, ios, and win8.look at this realisticly. if windows manages to get tablets to be treated like real computers, than all the win 8 crap will port to other oses too. and if the tablets use x86, what will that do? really? it will force a bigger battery, because we have realy high power chips at low watts already for x86, its fully possible that amd will take that segment with its great apus.what what matters most isnt the program for inter platform use, its the files they output, because everything can read a jpeg, but not everything can run an app.really the one thing that i want to see is wacom get into the tablet market, because i would so buy a wacom interface tablet over the crappy finger only screens, because i would love to use a pen to be able to draw and paint.[/citation]
Bull... there are crappy ports, yes, but not all, only those that were originally crappy programmed. If the code is written in an upper level language or is commented extensively or written in an open standard language things are not gonna be that hard.
Windows did get tablets to be treated like real computers and have laptop sized batteries. Guess what, they failed. People don't really want bigger batteries, they want more powerfull ones and there currently are none. If there were more powerfull batteries you would already see them in iOS or android or laptop devices. About the app vs output file, you're talking nonsense. If that would be true all OS couldread pdf, ps (postscript), svg, odf etc by default but they don't.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if i'm buying a tablet, i'm not going to use it to do real work. just watching video or light browsing, maybe reading pdf docs and emails. so i don't need a full fledged os. if i need to do real work, then i use my desktop or regular laptop.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I've seen this movie before. Besides the fact that W8 and HP showed up a day late and a dollar short, you guys are over thinking this. Forget the technical merits of the devices mentioned above and focus on what people want and already have.

Apple and Android have better marketing, tend to be more streamlined than Windows, already have very effective and name recognizable devices.

People like apps, they don't want full fledged programs to install. Nor do they want to pay $50 for it. The ability to run programs on a tablet isn't going to appeal to most. People would like to see an Tablet Office Suite though.

More and more people are getting familiar with iOS and Android devices when it comes to smart phones and tablets. I doubt most if any will jumb ship just because Windows is showing up with a Tablet with an OS similar to their computer at home. As a hardcore PC gamer, I have zero interest in a W8 tab.

As for iTunes comment, I HATE itunes, one of many reasons why I went with Android tablet. Amazon Cloud FTW (combined with Google Music beta).

Time will tell I guess.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Interesting that reviewers using the HP tablet have highlighted problems. Assuming HP have tried and tested the product, do they just have sycophants working for them?

G

ipad is great but for business purposes, it doesn't really add much value.
Sure I would rather bring along a tablet instead of my notebook for travels
(If you travel a lot, bringing your notebook is always a pain).

But the ipad does not really provide much in terms of Office capabilities and
for gods sake, our company's internal system is built on a Window based
system (Can't even enter the system using Android or IOS). I'm sure our
company isn't the only one out there... (The bigger the company, the longer
it takes to adopt a new system)

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I'd want the option to get a full metal jacket for my pad, if I get one, just like I got an external battery for my ultra portable, so if it does have quad-tegra goodness, that I can play angry birds on it all day long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS