HP webcam disconnects/reconnects whenever screen is moved

msal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi All,

I've only posted on here once before (a very long time ago) so feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place! I searched and haven't been able to find a solution to my problem anywhere.

Specs:
Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6700
Processor: AMD Turion 64 x2, 2.0GHz
Webcam: not sure... HP webcam, built in above the screen

My problem:
When I move the screen, I hear the USB disconnect/reconnect sound, and sometimes am prompted with the following alert message:

This USB device can perform faster if you connect it a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. Click here for a list of available ports.

What I know so far:
I was able to get the screen in the perfect position so the USB connection was 'disconnected' for good. After looking in Device Manager, I was able to determine that the following two devices were completely dropping off of the list (no red X mark or anything.. took a while to figure this part out!).

Imaging Devices -> HP Webcam
USB Controllers -> USB Composite Device

I am assuming this is a hardware issue, considering it never occurs if the laptop is stationary. The webcam must be disconnecting/reconnecting physically to an internal USB port when I move the laptop screen. Also, I NEVER use the webcam. I thought disabling the USB Composite device under Device Manager would kill the USB port in question, but I'm still getting the noise/alerts.

My Question(s)
Would uninstalling the drivers for either the webcam or USB composite device help, or will this do nothing because of 'plug & play' technology? I'm thinking everytime this physically occurs I will still get the noise/alerts, even if the drivers are uninstalled.

I have considered opening up the laptop and checking out the motherboard, but I REALLY don't want to do this. If there is a way I can completely kill that USB port without opening up the laptop that would be great. Are there any workarounds besides disabling the USB sound effects?

I appreciate the help!

-Matt

The issue is that if you disable the web cam, and it disconnects, it's off Device Manager. When it connects again, Windows sees it as a new device and pops up the message. Your only option without turning off all device detection is to cut the connection to the web cam from the case.

entelly

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
lookandream

I have the same issue, except when it does disconect, it doesn't reconect anymore, only if i re-start the computer. Very ennoying for skype. If someone know what to do!

I have the same exact issue as lookandream, I've tried several solutions(drivers,bios,updates,restore...ect) seems to be a internal hardware issue, but I cant be sure without tearing apart my laptop which Im not going to do!!.. Anyone? have anything, or even a possible solution, besides sending it in for repair?

hardwarehack

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

I am also having the same issue. I think it is a wiring problem with the connection to the screen though the hinge. I can get the webcam to appear on the device manager by closing the lid halfway, but then it disappears again when I open completely.

I hoping someone out there has a fix for this. I am OK with opening up my POS HP to fix this, as I am well beyond my warranty period and I'm not paying HP way too much money to fix this for me.

At least now I know why I was getting the USB warnings popping up in the past few months, I hadn't tried the webcam for awhile.