HP: webOS Will Be Better Than Android, iOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
this is why women should never run a company, let alone set a foot outside the kitchen. Spouting shit!

Web OS < iOS = Android

WebOS is atmost a 2-3

Android is a 8-9

iOS is a 8-9 as well...

LarryNewman

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I for one can not wait until I have WebOS back in my handheld with H/W specs that rival smartphones on the market currently. I agree the UI/UX is the best in the business, nothing is more functional and intuitive. I traded up (if you can say that) to Android from WebOS (original Pre) about 6 months ago and still really miss my WebOS. C'mon open source communuity and manufacturers let's put this O/S where it rightfully belongs.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]dcsharp[/nom]house70 - This is a ridiculous statement, this is the same site that I regularly see apple bagged for not being open and requiring a Jailbreak to be usable (never mind the fact that I had to root my android to allow the tethering that iphones support out of the box). Yet the same people will sit there and argue that Android will always be open (Despite google now owning Moto) because there will always be ways to ways to hack it so that makes it open.LOLAndroid upgrades etc are so all over the place with most manufacturing culling support for phones within two years and the experience being totally different on every device. Personally I'm loving the competition that we now have with all of these companies having to go out of the way to woo us. And webos as opensource like a great alternative.Is it just me or are Android users more sheep like than Apple users? Certainly seem just as closed minded. Kind of reminds me of goths, soooo desperate not to conform that they do the complete opposite and they become even more laughably associated and clone like than those that they argue are sheep. Good one guys.[/citation]
1. when I was saying phones are locked, I was referring to their respective bootloaders; there are phones that have unlocked bootloaders, some that have easily un-lockable bootloaders, and then is Moto, which always tries to create a challenge to people that want them unlocked. If you own an Android phone, you should already understand that. once the bootloader is unlocked, installing custom ROMs and recoveries are easy as pie. The beauty of Android is that the code is available, hence there are plenty of custom ROMs and other tweaks to fit every need out there.
2. Comparing this to iOS is ridiculous (to use your term), because jailbreaking an iDevice only allows for non-AppStore applications to be installed; that does NOT make it a "custom iOS".
3. the fact that you needed to expand the functionality to gain, say, tethering is only because retarded wireless operators chose to cripple the OS to their liking. This is akin to complaining that a demo is not as functional as a fully paid application on a PC.
As a matter of fact, if Android were to be a closed OS, operators could not fiddle with the functional aspect of it, could not integrate bloatware in ROMs, making it hard to remove, and so on. At the same time, you would not have devs out there capable of creating beautifully functional ROMs for people like you and me (not without infringing on some closed EULA). I for one prefer the openness and customization of Android to the closeness of iOS.
Same goes for the updates; don't believe for a second that the operators don't have the latest pure Android code available; they choose to delay the release because they want to make sure their restrictions are again and again integrated successfully into their crippled ROMs.
4. calling people names just goes to show the extent to which you are capable of sustaining an argument.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The only thing that could be said to HP is that they had a gem and they blew it. Now they're hoping the open community will save the name in the end.
Even so, I am more confident that the community will create a better OS than I am in HP being able to create the H/W to go with it.

G

Design a new programing language that can run ANY iOS AND ANDROID application. then make it require super low ram compared to the other competitors, but put way more ram into the device (4gb ddr3). have the battery life about 20 hours one a single charge. make it a quad core processor that benchmarks 4 times over the tegra 3 or at least 4x over the A5 chip from apple. design it to where its as thin as the transformer prime or at least the ipad 2. make the bezel spaces really small... but not too small to where you can't rest your thumb on when you are are holding it upright. find a way to put a mini-HDMI port on it or WIDI support. let it run both PC software AND mac OS software. make the webOS software capable of dual window view (i actually made that word up... you know...when im writing a paper, i like to split my screen up... one for microsoft office word and one for the website. Also emulate the ibooks 2 that ipad 2 has so we can hack into those books and actually view them and pay nothing for them HAHA. camera on both sides. To regulate fragmentation, make it exclusive to your company only... android is doing a decent job with fragmentation but its still not perfect. make the price of the machine $500 tops...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]I actually prefer webOS to android I have a touchpad which dual boots and i only use android for the app market. I love the multi tasking on webOS, i actually cant live without it anymore[/citation]

I've used them all as well and I do find webOS intuitive in many ways. With some tweaks and performance optimizations, it could be very competitive. Only thing I haven't used yet is WP7.

ronml

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Massive overpromising with a straight face? Whitman is still a politician, and not a particularly good one. (I'm talking character, not policies.)

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
webOS will be better than Android & iOS... in say 10years time compared to Android/iOS of today's time (NOT andoid/ios after 10years).

G

Its not just about making a good OS it has a lot to do with which ones become entrenched. WP7 is suppose to be a great OS but it is having a hard time pulling customers who already use iOS or Android.

G

i absolutely love the webos ui, and I've used ios and android. the only problem is the lack of apps, and lack of a following. Webos+a app library the size of android's would equal a killer platform...

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Apparently Whitmann is delusional. Even if the OS itself is better, the lack of an established ecosystem of apps and content will mean garenteed failure. Microsoft is struggling because of this same issue and Windows Phone is by far the most polished mobile OS out there today. You either need market share to attract developers or apps to gain market share and WebOS has neither.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
While WebOS "may" have some edges over iOS and Android, it ultimately is the content of a particular platform offers that determines who's the winner, which is zero from WebOS. All I am saying is people can talk about how great a platform is. Without abundant and rich content, it is garbage.

G

I purchased a $99 16Gb TouchPad for my wife as a Christmas present. I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of hardware and screen, the ease of use, and the wide variety of useful, fun, and free apps at the WebOS app store.

The only mystery to me is why HP was so quick to abandon ship on such a good product. I'd heard good things about the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi phones that HP killed off as well.

Trying to compete with Apple and Google was going to be a daunting task, but I thought including WebOS with HP's consumer Pavillion and Compaq PCs might be a really smart way to leverage their market leadership in the PC business. to build the user community for WebOS.

I got the impression from the tech news announcements that a bad financial quarter was enough to create panic with C-level management, so they started announcing cuts to try to save their own jobs rather than seeing the projects through to fruition.

I still suspect that the world will be split between Apple and Android eventually. Whatever caused HP to blow up their entire mobile computing strategy, it wasn't because of a bad operating system.

G

Besides apps, it already is better. Definitely better than Android, IMO. I switched to android a while back and the only thing I don't miss about webOS is the app selection.

Just curious, how many of you naysayers have actually used a webOS phone or a TouchPad? The user interface really is very good. The operating system is pretty snappy and a joy to use, considering the hardware. webOS just couldn't get the right apps early enough - Palm didn't have the deep pockets that Apple or Google had. Or microsoft for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.