HP Website Hints at Additional TouchPad Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTT

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
CNN had an article about the fire sale, an HP rep said another shipment was being brought out of storage this week. We'll see I guess.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'll agree with everyone. I think $100 made it a no-brainer for a lot of people. I think (as evidenced by the Craigslist and ebay sales) that people would even pay a little more for a decent tablet.

Here's hoping I can get my hands on one (or two).

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'm going to wager that any remaining TouchPads will cost at least twice as much as last week's wave did. HP might seem like they haven't a clue what to do with their company lately still bow down to the "Almighty Dollar." (They have to for their shareholders.) HP would be seriously mistaken to let any remaining inventory sell for $99, especially when TouchPads are already being re-sold on auction sites for $300+.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It isn't that "decent" with WebOS but once you drop the price enough, modders will work on them and get them to be as functional as a normal tablet with Android installed. This is what happened with the first netbooks that were severely underpowered, and it's also what happened with less functional tablets like the Nook Color and Archos. All of these companies need to realize that the average tablet user is the average "Apple consumer", so there really isn't a lot of market space for tablets that are trying to do the same thing. There IS however still plenty of room for cheaper tablets that can still do the same sorts of things.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If this works HP is genius. The only way into the tablet market dominated by Apple is to offer a decent product at a cut rate price, even a loss. Everyone that is getting one of these for $100 will be happy as hell with them unless they simply don't work at all. So they will get good press, market share, and word of mouth sells. For this to work HP has to play it down or investors would be pissed off.

killakat

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]If this works HP is genius. The only way into the tablet market dominated by Apple is to offer a decent product at a cut rate price, even a loss. Everyone that is getting one of these for $100 will be happy as hell with them unless they simply don't work at all. So they will get good press, market share, and word of mouth sells. For this to work HP has to play it down or investors would be pissed off.[/citation]

Yep... I knew there was a plan all along. Why else would a company make more of a product that they deemed as unsuccessful.

"Aww, this spaghetti is so TERRIBLE *Inom nom nom* Who would make *nom nom* such crap on a plate?! *nom nom, gains 10 more pounds*"

scubastevo2005

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
EnriqueForbes is a moron, penny auction sites are a rip off, pay 60 cents for one penny vote, that LED TV you think you got a great deal on cost people around $3768, local best buy sells it for around $1000, sounds like a smoking deal to me, lack of common sense! I was able to get my hands on 2 of the Tablets, did some minor upgrades and downloads, was able to make it run faster, not log files, and it would great! Not to mention its pretty easy to overclock these without problems!

G

Umm - if you read the rest of the cnn article referenced above the sales reps basically say that while some stores sold their inventory at the $99 price tag other chains elected to return the shipments to HP for a refund (rather than go through an accounting hassle of massive consumer shipments followed by working through HP to get the difference settled up). The touchpads which HP will be putting up for sale in the not too distant future are these returned inventory shipments.

etracer65

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]If this works HP is genius. The only way into the tablet market dominated by Apple is to offer a decent product at a cut rate price, even a loss. Everyone that is getting one of these for $100 will be happy as hell with them unless they simply don't work at all. So they will get good press, market share, and word of mouth sells. For this to work HP has to play it down or investors would be pissed off.[/citation]

Yeah, that's going to work out really well for HP! Considering that their materials cost for the 32GB version is $318 + labor selling it for $150 as a "marketing strategy" sounds like an awesome idea!

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/HP-TouchPad-Carries-$318-Bill-of-Materials.aspx

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Don't get too exited. HP does tank the Touchpad for good. The ones they do still sell are the lots that were returned by resellers and consumers.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]etracer65[/nom]Yeah, that's going to work out really well for HP! Considering that their materials cost for the 32GB version is $318 + labor selling it for $150 as a "marketing strategy" sounds like an awesome idea![/citation]
I hope you were joking there. HP has no marketing strategy (anymore), only quarter to quarter revenue tactics.
The rumor on Forbes, and some other mainstream media, has it that HP has become a target for a hostile take over by Oracle for that very reason.

G

I think HP is a genius and this price cut might just work. Instead of paying too much for marketing for customer adoption, why not give it to the masses by price cut. Those who got them will spread the word with positive feedback since they only got it for $99. Genius I tell you genius!

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]svdb[/nom]I hope you were joking there. HP has no marketing strategy (anymore), only quarter to quarter revenue tactics.The rumor on Forbes, and some other mainstream media, has it that HP has become a target for a hostile take over by Oracle for that very reason.[/citation]

why would Oracle want HP?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Beautiful economics at work, the market set the value. Most people thought $500 was too much , $200-$300 seems to be the sweet spot.

That $99 price really peaked my interest.

G

If you link to many of the stores listed as retailers on HP's site, on the Touchpad image that used to say the two prices, it now says 'coming soon' next to each. The only difference is at Office Depot, the 16GB has a price that says $129 and the 32GB says 'coming soon'. Maybe these retailers are getting more and increasing the price a little. $129 and $179 (or even $199?).

Status
Not open for further replies.