Solved! HP WONT TURN ON

deformedstv

Estimable
Sep 15, 2017
I have an HP Compaq Presario CQ61-310EM and it wont turn on

When I press the button it turns on for a few seconds, even the screen wants to turn o, but it shuts down immediately
I tested rams, tested charger, tryied to remove wifi card and dvd reader, everything except CPU and RAM, no help
I changed thermal paste, changed BIOS battery and cleared CMOS, nothing helps
Battery is probably dead, but laptops should work without batterys when plugged in

When I turn it on without any ram, it stays on for as long as it needs and beeping code for ram missing, so I don't think its a PSU

Help?

Solution
Did you use ESD precautions for this work (I'm curious)? From your description there could be any of a number of things wrong. I would send it back to HP. They are fairly fast turnaround. Expect your data to be wiped when you get it back so pull the drive and copy what you need. Sorry I have no other suggestions.

That is about an 8 or 10 year old laptop HP won't work on it.

For that age, I would try different RAM even though the original RAM was tested, motherboard may be dead. It may be possible it will turn on with a good battery but for that system I would not spend any money on it at all, a much faster system can be bought for like $120-150 with an early Core i5 CPU, like this Lenovo T440...
If you are saying the problem started after the laptop was opened up there are many possible causes. If you didn't take proper anti-static (ESD) precautions, there is a good chance something got damaged by a static shock (this can be much lower voltage than you feel but still enough to damage things). You tested the RAM--how?? Can you boot from a USB? If so, you can run a diagnostic program but even that requires pretty much everything is working.

deformedstv

Estimable
Sep 15, 2017
I tested the ram by putting it in my other laptop and did tests, works
I cant boot or use bios because when i press the power button it powers up for a 3-4 seconds and it shut down

Did you use ESD precautions for this work (I'm curious)? From your description there could be any of a number of things wrong. I would send it back to HP. They are fairly fast turnaround. Expect your data to be wiped when you get it back so pull the drive and copy what you need. Sorry I have no other suggestions.

That is about an 8 or 10 year old laptop HP won't work on it.

For that age, I would try different RAM even though the original RAM was tested, motherboard may be dead. It may be possible it will turn on with a good battery but for that system I would not spend any money on it at all, a much faster system can be bought for like $120-150 with an early Core i5 CPU, like this Lenovo T440 https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sys/d/medford-lenovo-t440p-laptops-windows-10/7209624950.html T420 models should be even cheaper, I tend to sell them for $120 or 140 with a solid state drive when I get them.

Solution