HP's Open webOS 1.0 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
[citation][nom]cesar44[/nom]HP's Open webOS? Who cares???[/citation]
People who like awesome free alternatives. People who want to try something interesting. People that read this site?

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Since Open WebOS 1.0 doesn't work on the HP touchpad are there any tablets or phones which can run this OS or can it only be run through emulation on a PC?

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Since Open WebOS 1.0 doesn't work on the HP touchpad are there any tablets or phones which can run this OS or can it only be run through emulation on a PC?[/citation]

Thats the dozy right there. You cant put it on existing WebOS devices...so whats the point of installing yet another version of a OS that has zero traction.

It's mere distraction.

And before you all pile on me I am a Pre2 owner that feels WebOS really should have been the mobile OS winner as its far better to use than the others. But as it got dumped twice I wouldnt go there again.

Back buttons are retarded!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]cesar44[/nom]HP's Open webOS? Who cares???[/citation]

1. Android is being a problematic OS for phone makers
i. Google has their own brands and now owns Motorola which is a conflict for hardware companies
ii. Android has all sorts of patent issues, so many that Microsoft makes $1 billion from hardware makers that they say violate their patents
2. Windows 8 for phone makers is problematic since Microsoft is already committed to the surface tablet what's to say they won't go into phones plus they have a special 'partner' with Nokia which is troublesome to manufacturers. Plus windows mobile OS tend to be the most expensive
3. iOS is only for Apple so hardware makers can't use this (obviously)
4. Manufacturers have tried their own Mobile OS and have not faired we'll. (ex. Samsung Bada)
5. WebOS provides an alternative that may be free of patent and legal issue, only issue is possibility P will get back into mobile and compete with other webOS products

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Time will tell for this, now it is open source will it suffer the same level of fragmentation that plagues Linux? Not that I am against alternatives, but unless correctly focused this could fall way behind

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
If they enabled mouse use on it and got rid of that stupid bottom task bar to stop a program it would be ok. Right now it looks like they took an iPhone knock off OS and put it on a touch screen pc.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It actually looks more functional than Win8 Metro.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]1. Android is being a problematic OS for phone makers i. Google has their own brands and now owns Motorola which is a conflict for hardware companies
ii. Android has all sorts of patent issues, so many that Microsoft makes $1 billion from hardware makers that they say violate their patents2.[/citation] Its possible for Open WebOS to get caught up in a patent issue. I don't know if there really is any code in Android that has MS code. (Like MS never stole before) - MS threaten to sue and once 1-2 companies caved in, it kind of validates MS's position. Keep in mind, Google has 17,000 Motorola patents and has already fired a valid shot at Apple... you can bet that MS could find itself punched back.

The Google/Motorola party is not an issue with Samsung, HTC, and others. Motorola was already a competitor. The purchase of Motorola was to protect Android and therefore Samsung, HTC, etc. My purchase of a Motorola phone had nothing to do with Google buying them out.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
i really did like my HP touchpad with webOS, but the OS is so far behind the pack now it is hard to imagine that it will ever catch up. It needs not just a strong app ecosystem now, but it also needs device/driver support that will allow people to switch their current devices over. It has neither right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.