Question HTC Desire 12 technical help

Jun 14, 2019
Hello everyone, I hope some of you may be able to help me out with a "sick" HTC Desire 12 smartphone. Hopefully this is the correct place to post this question?

I currently have an HTC10 which is a good solid phone, however the phone is shutting down randomly when the battery percentage is around 25%, I have read that this is the battery needing replaced, which looks to be quite a job especially getting the screen off in one piece. So I decided to get another phone and chose an HTC Desire 12 which had been used briefly (still looks pristine) and came fully charged and sitting at the initial set up screen, so I just thought pair the phones and start transferring my apps, etc. over.

The pairing started fine and apps starting moving along with whatever else. However as the phone was doing this suddenly white rings appeared on the screen which I believe indicates a factory reset? It was erasing all data anyhow. I let this go and it continued for ages then the phone switched off during this as the battery ran out.

Now when I switch it one, it is basically stuck at the HTC initial black screen with HTC text, if I try to shut it off by holding the power key in, sometimes it will shut down, but instantly restart to the same place. I have been Google'ing different things before deciding to raise the white flag and post here. The phone can go into different menus / modes, but again seems to get stuck. For example as I type this it is at => FASTBOOT mode... but again just stuck there.

It also can get to the No command screen and then holding down the power button and then pressing the up button for a second will take it to the Android Recovery options.

I have tried some of these such as Wipe cache and also Wipe data/factory reset, however no matter what it does after that (going through its processes - which only last seconds), the phone then returns to the black screen with the HTC text, basically the initial boot up screen and thats where it hangs.

Would any of you kind folk have any answers, help or assistance for this "sick" smartphone?

Any help would be greatly welcomed. Please be aware though, that I am not overly technical minded in the Android operating system, but have a bit of an idea. I have also repaired hardware on a couple of my previous smartphones, so will give anything a go.

Cheers,
N-I

You didn't say if it is the initial phone that is doing this, or the new phone that is doing this.

Either way, it sounds a lot like there is either something fishy on the phone that wiped it, or there is an actual problem with the phone that would require a tech look at it.

If the problem is with the new phone, return it and get your money back. If it is with the old phone, well you may well just have to let it go as it likely wiped everything that was on the device.

Jun 14, 2019
Hello webworkings thanks for the reply, the phone that is giving the trouble is the HTC desire 12 which has some issues with booting up to the home screen and unfortunately the guy I got it from does not have his receipt.

It is be sad to see basically a new HTC phone no longer usable.

Thanks for getting back to me.

N-I