HTC Intros Monstrous 4.7-inch Titan Powered by WP7.5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom] ....Yeah, yeah....root your phone. I promise 90% of smart phone users do NOT root their phones. They're the people you have to be worried about. Stupid people who get pissed off at their phone being slow is a VERY bad thing for a company. People with a brain know that rooting their phone solves most, and almost all problems.[/citation] You forgot to mention that rooting also void your warranty and the possibility of getting support anywhere if it brakes from rooting. I wonder who's the stupid one?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]Looks the same as my HD7, thats 4.3 inch and people are always like "That phones rediculously big" (I like it) not sure, but 4.7inch may be going a bit too far.It's not mentioned in this article but I hope external storage is supported now. I was surprised at how quick my "16GB" (12GB, rest is reserved) filled up and I have no external storage support.[/citation]
The HD7 has a microSD slot hidden under the bottom back panel. I'm rocking 48Gb with my HD7.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Am I right in thinking that the Titan has a single core processor?[/citation]
Thats right, but a nice quick one that will most likely perform significantly faster than a dual core.
Creating applications and phone apps to fully utilize threading is still very difficult, even on the desktop where we've had multi-threaded CPUs for almost a decade.
Give me multi-cores on my desktop but a fast single core in my smartphone any day!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom] ....EXTREMELY slim odds of it bricking anyways. So if you're still wondering who the stupid one is, now you know it's you![/citation] I see... I'm guessing you're one of those people.... You just prove me right. - though I might let this one slide; You are what you are.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Ii found you rather interesting; you called everyone who does not “root” his or her phone stupid, you called me stupid, then called delusional and ma a screw-up. It is a common knowledge not to insult anyone you do not know… Did you ever think that maybe some of those people you are calling stupid could be related to you? and maybe by slim chance is the one who pays your tuition/income? You might want to reassess yourself towards others. You use such foul words for nothing and it makes you look like a *****. You probably still in grade school and still have a lot to learn.

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]Looks the same as my HD7, thats 4.3 inch and people are always like "That phones rediculously big" (I like it) not sure, but 4.7inch may be going a bit too far.[/citation]

I would just tell those people 'It is not your phone so I don't care what you think'

Or do too many people these days care more about what others like than what they themselves like?

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Ah, I remember when 4" phones were coming out - many here complained how oversized they were. Now I see tons of people using 4" screens all over campus, because it makes the web browsing, emailing, and facebooking all the more enjoyable when you have more desktop space to read more than 2 lines of text.

Another common complaint is why anyone would want to watch netflix on a tiny phone or on the go - these people must be kids who never had the joy of waiting in a Department of Motor Vehicles queue for two hours to renew their license. (When you have an eye test you can't do it online...) They give us larger screens, and then people say what would you use it for - how about watching netflix while waiting in a queue? Or maybe being able to see more than one field at a time when typing an email? Or perhaps seeing a text 4 or 5 back that you are responding to?

Personally, I miss my physical slide-out keyboard. When I am doing a crossword, I like to see the whole puzzle while typing a word. When emailing, it is nice to not loose 2/3 of the screen to a virtual keyboard. Like any computer, its about how much legible text you can get on the screen when typing long messages. I do a lot on the go, so pulling out a laptop and hotspotting it can be a bit too inconvenient, thus I prefer to do it on my phone.

In summary, a lot of people complain about how pointless the device is. However, the success of 4" devices along with tablets show there is a market for these larger screens. Now if only we could get the manufacturers to make inexpensive long battery life basic phones instead of just uber-powered smartphones....

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Am I right in thinking that the Titan has a single core processor?[/citation]

Yes... but with anything mobile, you have to take into consideration the efficiency of the OS and battery life. WP7 is a really efficient hardware accelerated OS that runs very smoothly on a single core, often better than Android on a multi-core. Putting in a multi-core processor for a WP7 phone won't give you any more speed (since there already is no lag) and will drain your battery much faster. So really, there's no point in putting in a multi-core processor.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]That screen is huge. While I do appreciate the larger screen (as I can't use smaller ones) 4.7" might be too big to hold by one hand now.[/citation]

That's what she said? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.