HTC Pours $300 Million into Beats by Dre

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
The entire beats line sound very nice, excellent range, and the built in amp on the full size is a nice addition. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to peal off 300 dollars for something that is intended to be used on the move. Im not going to walk around with noise cancelling on (begging for trouble), and what does it really matter if you have lossless audio when there is ambient noise

If i am on my pc, i have a full size system.

for headset gaming and private listening my g35's are great(and far cheaper)

in the car, again a full size full range system.

I guess i just dont see an area of use where dre's are the best option

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
it amazes me that by merely throwing a bunch of cash at advertising that they can build a brand that people think is good. I will stick with my lil none Denon Headphones and mock the world with my Hifi audio music and gaming.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol....such a waste....if they really wanted to have some good sound they should have invested in SHURE and BOSE[/citation]
Bose? Haha, that's funny. Shure? Yeah, I'll give you that one...

If they really wanted to invest in a good, quality audio company, they would have wanted Beyer, Denon, Audio Technica, AKG, and let's not forget Sennheiser

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
all that money will got to marketing and it'll probably be a success like bose even though there wont be anything special or revolutionary about it. probably the best headphones i've had were ultimate ears super.fi 5 but i guess they didn't market and went out of business(were purchased by logitech).

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]I'm amazed at how these big companies just throw money around. I guess having too much money makes people waste it.[/citation]

Pay close attention though - they are throwing it around amongst themselves and there will be no trickle down effects..

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]+1BOSE = Monster Cable.[/citation]

Actually Beats = Monster Cable... Literally. Beats are made by Monster.... That and the Dre brand name is the reason it's so over priced.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
if they just want to throw away money like that you would think a big company could come up with better ideas, 300 million for headphones that only get used when traveling...
c'mon.
let redirect those funds back into what makes your money HTC, phones.
FYI - that 3D phone is crap...

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Well for most idiots, it's either Skullcandy or Beats. Both of which are shitty values, but they don't know any better.

How about Sound by Sennheiser? Or Shure? Denon?...Or Hell, make your own "hipster audio" company and people will buy it. It's not like Beats by Dre existed before 2 years ago.

G

Sadly lauxenburg you are correct. And those knocking BOSE headsets obviously haven't put them on their heads.
Sennheiser, BOSE pretty much sound identical and reproduce the sound intended faithfully.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]nowwicked[/nom]Sadly lauxenburg you are correct. And those knocking BOSE headsets obviously haven't put them on their heads. Sennheiser, BOSE pretty much sound identical and reproduce the sound intended faithfully.[/citation]
No highs, no lows; Must be BOSE.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
nothing but lost money if you ask me!
Dr dre is a sticker that costs money to indicate a device can do what other devices without the sticker can do as well!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment[/citation]
really now?....you are jealous because you can't afford quality.....it's the truth and nothing but the truth...i would never lie, lol

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Beats was launched in 2009 as part of an effort to improve the quality of audio products being sold today.
Who requested that? Such effort is totally unnecessary as the technology for making brilliant headphones has been around for many, many years.

Monster is just about marketing BS. You could get two pairs of much better headphones (someone already mentioned the real brands) for the same price.

G

Excellent, you could've chosen a company with a solid reputation for DAC and speakers like Mackie, but instead you chose the fashionable company with the cool logo. Heck, they'd probably get more for their money pairing with M-Audio or Behringer than BbDD, $300 million is a lot of cash to pay for sub-par technology.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Beats are louder than any other headphones but they also have great separation. Nothing else comes close for iPod/mp3 playback. Only an idiot uses Grados, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser HD 600 and 650's on any mp3 player; they absolutely suck without a dedicated headphone amp. Bose and Sony not even in the discussion.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
How about these advertisers stop advertising their crap that none of us wants and start advertising CHEAP BOSE, something that could almost never happen?

tiktianc

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
this is pointless... what they should be doing is investing in a battery company so they can support better amps in their phones to drive the headphones....

Status
Not open for further replies.