HTC VIVE headset has something like dust in dark images

gorflick

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
When i see dark images i can see a lot of something that seem like dust, and makes it quite annoying play with games in dark scenes, is this normal ?

gorflick

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Its a new headset, just started to use it and i dont want to open it and probably damage it, just wanted to know if there is other people with htc vive that dont have this problem and can see dark images without any dust or dust like effect in screen.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Does the dust have color?
I think what you are seeing is the pixel distortion in the color "black" in the LED display.

If that is the case, my VIVE has the same thing. I think it is just the quality of the black.

(Let's see if I can give a poor explanation)
- Behind the screen is an ambient white light.
- That passes through RGB gates, which create the mix of colors you see.
- The color "Black" is just all of those gates closed.
However, it is not perfect, and sometime light peeks through those gates.. causing an "imperfect" black.

You also have how even the white light is behind the gates... yadda yadda..

I think this is what you are seeing. Or I am just talking out my tookus.
For more information, look at How Flatscreen TV's are made, and that will give some insight of what is going on. The HTC is more like a cellphone, but the technology should still apply.

gorflick

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
The dust is like dark brown or something like that, seems exactly like dust, but i think it is not.

I realized it doesnt happen in all blacks, in games like Thief using vorpx i can notice that effect heavily but when i see the htc vive standby which shows something like a planet in the sky and dark around i dont notice it, or at least its not very noticeable.