Jthall5105

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
I am looking to build an HTPC and I need some help on what to put in it. I have a build picked out but not sure if this completly wrong, just right, or overkill on what I want to do with it.

What I want to do with this HTPC is stream like netflix/hulu/amazon/twitch/youtube things like that on it and also to be able to record standard TV channels that I get through my antenna and to be able to watch blu ray movies on it.

The parts I selected are:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
MOBO: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage:Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Optical drive:LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

That is the build that I have picked out and am not sure if it will work. I know I will need a TV tuner card and an OS, but I am not sure what OS, Windows 7/8/10. I know windows 7 has the media center on it and 8/10 doesn't but I saw that there is software that I can get for 8/10 similar to media center. And do I need more storage, like a 2TB HDD, than that if i want to record TV shows even if I record them and most likely delete right after I watch and if so which one I saw most HTPC have a WD blue or green in them will one of those work or do i need something different?

Any help will be much appreciated. Oh and I am looking to spend roughly $500 not really including TV tuner card

Solution
Your specs are fine.

I use a Hauppauge 2255 dual-Tuner card to record from my antenna. Trouble free for 18 months.

A 1080 1-hr show will take ~6 gig, you do the math whether you need more storage. If you do I recommend at least a RED drive, and it's like another usd$10 more expensive than a green and you get a whole extra year of warranty.

Yes there are alternatives to Windows Media Center but you really have to audition 'em, it's a personal choice. I *still* prefer WMC because it gives me a clean interface. People like the latest and greatest OS, I like tried&true.
Your specs are fine.

I use a Hauppauge 2255 dual-Tuner card to record from my antenna. Trouble free for 18 months.

A 1080 1-hr show will take ~6 gig, you do the math whether you need more storage. If you do I recommend at least a RED drive, and it's like another usd$10 more expensive than a green and you get a whole extra year of warranty.

Yes there are alternatives to Windows Media Center but you really have to audition 'em, it's a personal choice. I *still* prefer WMC because it gives me a clean interface. People like the latest and greatest OS, I like tried&true.

Solution