HTPC won't stream/record in HD

veryscreaming

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello all, hope this is the right forum and hope that somebody can help me with this.

For 3+ years my always-on HTPC has worked nearly flawlessly for recording and streaming TV in HD throughout my house (wired gigabit). I use a Time Warner Cable Card/W7/WMC with extenders/HDHomerun Prime/Panny plasma.

Then 2 or 3 weeks ago it began streaming & recording in a lower quality 4:3 format (on all extenders). WMC itself is in the proper HD 16:9 format, just not the programs. I've rebooted everything and I'm getting good internet speeds. I updated the HDHomerun firmware too but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any thoughts about what the problem is or how I could fix it? Thanks very much in advance.

veryscreaming

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I tried several restore points from right around the time that things started going wrong but system restore was unable to complete the operation. The only other available restore point was from a full year ago (?!) so I guess no luck with this direction.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

At this point it might just be a good idea to use the restore point from a year ago just to see if it fixes it.

veryscreaming

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Okay, found the problem and it's my own stupidity: the tuning adapter was off! The power blew a few weeks ago and I neglected to notice that the TA needed to be turned back on.

Well one thing I've learned is that even with your tuning adapter off your cable card will still stream channels, just not in HD. Hope that helps someone else.

Many thanks to Thor and Americanaudiophile for taking the time to help me. Cheers! :)