Need a new Streaming/Media box- Advice in ideal streaming options to replace WDTV live

TheBluFunk

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Good day!
I really really hope to get the answers I need as I'm dying over here with my old glitchy WDTV live.

Looking for a solution for my mancave. Only one TV to worry about. Its right smack next to (less that a few feet) my Gaming mancave/Main PC which houses all of my media files.

My TV is connected to a Pioneer Elite HomeTheater amp via HDMI.
I have a network cable ready to go as I used to have it go into my WDTV live box. The network cable is plugged into a Gigabit box that also has my hard wired internet connection going to my PC next to it.
So to be clear on the flow: Wired network cable from my Internet provider's modem right into my Gigabit box. Then one network cable leaving the Gigabit box and going to my PC providing my PC with hard wired internet. Another network cable leaving the Gigabit box and going to my WDTV Live (or whatever I get next). Then my WDTV live box was connected to my Pioneer Elite amp via HDMI.

My needs:
- I want to be able to stream movie files (often in MKV format but not always) that I downloaded from my PC over to my Home Theater and TV from that same PC.
- I also want to be able to use my Netflix account.
- Want to use wired connection to my new Streaming/Media box. No Wifi, although the option can come in handy as a secondary feature.

There are so many ready to go boxes out there now and so many options to consider. I've read tons of posts but really want to be crystal clear on my direction.

Some say use am Amazon Fire TV box with Kodi or Plex.
Some say use a Mibox. I cant use mibox as it does not offer a wired network connection option.
Some say Raspberry Pi with some software on it etc..... Not a fan of going the Rasp PI route honestly. Want to keep it simple and easy for me.
I was looking at the Roku boxes... Not sure if they offer what Im looking for for MKV format compatibility etc.... Especially since I "DL" many of my shows and movies ....

Since my PC is so close to my TV setup....I was also considering going straight from my PC to my Pioneer Elite Home Theater amp. The only way I can do that is through my PC's video card which is a Geforce GTX460. It has a Mini-HDMI out that I could use. Could I not just run Plex or Kodi right from my PC and stream through the mini-HDMI out over to my Home Theater amp and then from there to my TV? Was always worried about the audio with this possible option. I think I tried that a long time before and had audio problems......

Anyhow, from a simplicity perspective, I'm totally cool with buying a 100$-ish or less box of some sort. I just don't want it to be as crappy and glitchy as my WDTV live was.....

Many thanks in advance for your insight. Don't hesitate to ask me additional questions if you need me to elaborate further from a setup or needs perspective.

Thanks!!!! :)

Solution
The WD was never any good at streaming and sometimes has issues with audio on some files. Shame they stopped supporting it and coming out with new models.
I'm not sure anything will give you as much flexibility as using your PC connected via HDMI to the receiver. You could even run Android apps using Bluestacks. A wireless keyboard/trackpad would allow full control from your viewing chair.
An Android TV box would be the next most flexible. You could use KODI and Plex as well as the Netflix app.
Roku won't run KODI but offers the least technical setup.
The WD was never any good at streaming and sometimes has issues with audio on some files. Shame they stopped supporting it and coming out with new models.
I'm not sure anything will give you as much flexibility as using your PC connected via HDMI to the receiver. You could even run Android apps using Bluestacks. A wireless keyboard/trackpad would allow full control from your viewing chair.
An Android TV box would be the next most flexible. You could use KODI and Plex as well as the Netflix app.
Roku won't run KODI but offers the least technical setup.

Solution

TheBluFunk

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
My PC currently uses a GeForce GTX460 card. It's a few years old for sure. It has 2 DVI outs and 1 MINI-HDMI out.
For some reason I thought that I would not get audio if I used the MINI-HDMI OUT from the back of my GTX460.
I'll have to give that a try this evening.