G

Hi,

I've been planning to build my HTPC and did alot of reading about this subject; however, I couldn't find the answer to my concern which is: If the motherboard an HDMI and surround sound output, my question is: do I need to purchase a video card and a sound card? Does it affect the quality?

I am planning to spend about $1,500 USD to $2,000 on my system (including speakers and kewl case) and I am going to use my HTPC in the living room, from you guys experience what would be a decent hardware should i look at to allow me to:
- Record movies from different TV channels
- Play DVDs
- Storing Music and Photos
- Wireless surround speaker system (deliver enough sound for a 3mx5m room)
- Wireless network with Bluetooth
- to be used as a home pc too (web surfing, home computing... etc.)
- Last but not least I am not very big on gaming.

There are so many different products out there and your experience and recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
TH

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Onboard video such as the AMD 780G were made for HTPC use and the video quality is superb. You won't get any better with a discreet video card.

Do you plan on connecting to a surround sound receiver? If so, look for a 780G board that has optical S/PDIF out and let the receiver do the decoding.

G

Many thanks for your quick reply, i prefer not use a receiver as i am trying to minimize the number of electrical equipments and wires (my 2 year old son has a talent in pulling wires and sticking his fingers in the electricity outlets).

Regard,
TH

NoIncentive

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Well, if your budget is that high, I will show you an HTPC that I plan on building soon. It doesn't include a tv tuner card, so you would have to account for that, too. But this system would do all that you want, and more.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=7541905

That includes 2 TB of storage for media center dvr, creating a digital dvd library, and storing basically all other forms of media. 9800GT for some decent graphic performance, and LG blu-ray player for the HD enthusiast. It has s/pdif/optical out for 7.1 surround, but you can't go wrong with a decent sound card with superior decoding ability. There are plenty of things in that setup that you can downgrade to improve the price. Also, there is a $1500 display in that setup, so ignore it.